Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Discrimination Is Not On The Menu, Part 2

, , | Right | October 8, 2020

I work in a Nepali restaurant, and everyone who works there is from Nepal except for me; I’m white. A white family comes in and I seat them and bring them water and seat them. A few minutes later, the mother calls me back.

Me: “Hello there. Are you ready to order?”

Customer: “No, actually, but I was wondering, do you have anything that’s not Indian?”

Me: “Well, ma’am, this is a Nepalese restaurant and, being close to China and India, Nepalese food is influenced by those regions. If you like, I can recommend to you which dishes are the mildest?”

Customer: “No, that’s okay, but while you’re here…”

She starts whispering at this point.

Customer: “I would prefer if only you served me tonight because you’re… good at speaking English.”

Me: “I assure you that all my coworkers are fluent in English and may even be more helpful than me on what food may suit you best.”

Customer: “No, we don’t want to be served by… Indian people.”

Me: “Please call me back when you’re ready to order.”

I go up to my manager and tell him what the customer said.

Manager: “F*** her.”

Me: “What?!”

Manager: “This is a Nepali restaurant; if she says any other racist things, I will kick her out.” 

Related:
Discrimination Is Not On The Menu

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!