Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hard To Explain

| Working | July 14, 2015

(My manager calls me in for a special six month review. Since I recently took on several large projects, and have been doing well, even getting compliments from the CEO, I secretly hope for a raise.)

Manager: “I want to talk to you about [Project #1] and [Project #2]. You’ve been doing a really good job with them, but I was really hoping that, by this time in the year, they would have gotten easier for you.”

Me: “Oh, well, they’re always going to be difficult. I basically have to start from scratch on each one! I can handle it though, and [CEO] has been really impressed.”

Manager: “Yes, but I really want you to get to a point where they’re easy.”

Me: “I’m sorry. I don’t understand. Do you want me to spend less time on them?”

Manager: “No, you’re getting everything done. They still just seem to be a challenge. Is there a way you can work on that?”

Me: “They’re always going to be hard. They’re huge projects with enormous documents and require coordination with at least 10 departments and they have to be finished every month. I’m not sure how you want them to be easier. Do you want them to just look easier?”

Manager: “No. I just want you to focus on making the whole process easier. It just seems really hard right now.”

(So, no raise because my work is hard. I still have no idea what she meant.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!