Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Discount Is Not On The Books

| Right | January 18, 2017

(I work at a bookstore that has carts of bargain prices books for $1-3, mostly children and baby books, with the price listed on a big red and white sticker. A customer, with his daughter of about three to four, comes in with two of the books from the cart.)

Customer: “Hi, I’d like these two, please.”

Me: “Sure thing!” *I proceed to ring up the books: one, a small, flimsy story book for beginning readers at $1 and a small baby board book for $3* “Okay, that will be [total].”

Customer: “What?! That’s too much! Why aren’t they both a dollar?!”

Me: “Well, sir, the price is clearly labeled and set by our corporate office.”

Customer: “But this book for $3 is smaller than the $1 book! I want a discount!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, I can’t do that. The price on the book is the price. It’s already been discounted over 75% off, and I can’t discount it more.”

Customer: “Well, if you won’t discount it then I will take my business elsewhere!” *to his daughter* “Well, honey, it looks you can’t have these books because THIS man here doesn’t want you to have them!”

(Her face just drops as she looks at me and they leave the store.)

Coworker: *jokingly* “I can’t believe you! Breaking that little girls heart like that! But seriously, what the h***?!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!