Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Disconnecting From The Baby At Work To Have A Baby At Home

, , , , | Working | February 22, 2020

(I’m helping one of our more high-maintenance employees set up their computer. I’m also visibly pregnant, a week and change from my due date.) 

Me: “Okay, you’re all set. Let us know if you need anything else.” 

Employee: “Can I get your extension? I want to call you in case I have issues.” 

(We’ve been trying to discourage people from calling us techs directly and to use our ticketing system, instead, so it can be documented. Oh… and because their favorite techie may be out for silly things like being sick or having a baby.)

Me: “Oh, just call the general number or put in a ticket. Any one of us can help you.”

Employee: “Well, I’d like to get your extension, anyway. You’re the best tech I’ve worked with.”

(At this point, I’m exhausted. My ankles are swelling, the baby is kicking my ribs, and I need to eat. I just want to chill in my office for a bit.) 

Me: “Okay, it’s [number]. But I’m going on maternity leave in a couple of weeks, so you’ll need to call the general number or make a ticket.” 

(The baby arrived a week early. When I came back, I found out my officemate had turned off my phone’s ringer, partly because that employee called my extension several times a day for computer issues, and they complained because I wasn’t “more available” to help her. They complained enough that my employer considered asking if I’d be willing to come back early. They didn’t.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!