Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Disabling Your Boss’s Attitude

| Working | August 18, 2016

(I’m having major problems with a couple of managers refusing to make accommodations for my disabilities and threatening disciplinary action for taking my medications, saying I’m unable to work alone due to being epileptic, etc. I have a meeting with ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) and they come to the next meeting with the boss(es):)

Boss: “Right, you know why we’re here. This is a final warning for [My Name] due to her constant refusal to do her job and for bringing drugs into the office.”

Me: “I’ve brought along a few notes and my representative from ACAS here, and am going to say that what you are doing is illegal on several counts, not the least of which is the Disability Discrimination Act of 2010 which states I have a right to reasonable accommodations for disability and a right to take prescribed medications for said disabilities without interference from my employer.”

Boss: “I never said you could bring someone from ACAS in. Get them out.”

Me: “No. And my representative here can confirm I’m legally entitled to have an ACAS rep here?”

ACAS: “Yes. That it is.” *shows the relevant laws*

Boss: “This is just f****** unbelievable! I TOLD them not to hire a cripple and now we have all this s***! Do you realise, young lady, that you are actually COSTING the company money?”

Me: “All I want is to be able to do my job. I hardly think supervision out of hours, a disabled parking bay, and a suitable chair is ‘unreasonable’ and I believe the law backs me up here.”

Boss: “How about I just fire you?”

Me: “On what grounds?”

Boss: “I don’t see why I should spend money on a [really rude term for disabled] when I can get an able-bodied person in for half the cost.”

Me: “I think we’ve heard all we need to.”

ACAS: “Yes, I’d agree.”

(I filed an official grievance against my boss on the grounds of bullying and discrimination.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!