Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Dim And Dimmer

, | Right | March 18, 2013

(I notice a customer seems particularly interested in a light.)

Me: “Can I answer any questions for you?”

Customer: “Nope, I think I’ve found the light I’m looking for! Can you ring me up?”

Me: “I’d be glad to! But because of the type of fixture, I should ask you. Are you going to be using it with a dimmer?”

Customer: “Of course.”

Me: “Do you happen to know if that dimmer is compatible with these kinds of fixtures? Sometimes there can be issues, and I’d want your light to work properly for you.”

Customer: “I don’t know what kind of dimmer we have. It was there when we bought the house. Is the compatible dimmer more expensive?”

Me: “Yes, which is why I wanted to warn you before you bought a fixture that might need it. You may even have a compatible dimmer already. Many homes do. But you may want to check first.”

Customer: “You’re just trying to sell me something useless to get a bigger commission!”

Me: “Well, we don’t work on commission. I just didn’t want you to run into a nasty surprise. If you like, I can write down the code for the light if you want to go home and check before you buy. Then you could purchase at a later date. Or, if you wanted to buy the light and then go home to check, you can return the light for a full refund if you don’t want to replace the dimmer.”

Customer: “I can’t believe you call this customer service! I just want to buy this light! Why is that so difficult? I don’t believe for a second that you don’t work commission! I don’t think you know what you’re talking about at all! I want to talk to your manager!”

Me: “Of course, I’ll see if he’s available.”

(I go and find my boss.)

Manager: “Hi, I’m the manager. Can I help you?”

(The customer is now completely calm and pleasant.)

Customer: “Yes, I understand that this type of fixture might work better with a certain type of dimmer.”

Manager: “Yes, that’s correct.”

Customer: “And the dimmer we might need is more expensive?”

Manager: “Yes.”

(He begins to explain technical details I went through before.)

Customer: “Oh, yes. We know all about that. If we purchase this, take it home, and our dimmer isn’t compatible, could we return it?”

Manager: “Absolutely.”

Customer: “Thank you so much, you’ve been so helpful! Could you ring us through?”

(My manager rings them through, and they leave.)

Manager: “They seemed very nice. Why did you call me out here? I was busy!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!