Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Didn’t Sell A Game, Bought A Life Lesson

, , , | Right | October 21, 2020

I own a local video game store. As most people know, you don’t really get back what you paid for games because of us needing to make a profit and because of how values fluctuate. If a game’s value is too low, I don’t buy it. A guy comes in one day with a box of games.

Customer: “I’d like to sell these.”

Me: “Cool, let me take a look!”

I open the box. While there’s a few games worth some money, the majority are early 2000s sports games. I pull out the ones I can take in at all and pull up the trade values for them.

Me: “Okay, for this stack here, I can get you about $20.”

Customer: “What? But I paid hundreds for everything here! I want at least $75!”

Me: “Sir, the games in the box are worth literally nothing. A collector might want them, but since they’re not high-demand, it’s not even worth the shelf space in my store. You can try selling them as a bulk game lot on eBay, but other than that, I don’t know what to tell you.”

Customer: “You’re supposed to make the customer happy! Buy my games!”

Me: “I could buy them for the cases, but you’d only get… probably about another $10.” 

Customer: “I JUST BOUGHT THESE LAST YEAR FOR $200! I DEMAND MORE!”

I put all the games back in his box and push it across the counter to him.

Me: “First, you’re not getting anything now, except kicked out of my store. You do not make demands from me. Second, if you bought these last year, you got ripped off. Not my problem. Third, buying these games for the cases would have been doing you a favor, since nobody else in the city does that.”

Customer: “YOU CAN’T THROW ME OUT!”

Me: “I can ask you to leave. You’re becoming aggressive and refusing my offer.”

Customer: “FINE! I’LL GO TO [NATIONAL VIDEO GAME STORE] AND GET HUNDREDS!”

He stormed out. I laughed, as I know that chain wouldn’t take any of his games.

Related:
Sold A Game, Bought A Life-Lesson

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!