Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Just Remember That The Last Laugh Is On You

, , , , , | Working | December 21, 2012

(I work in the kitchen at a small restaurant, and we have a stereo system where you can plug in your iPod to play music. I discover that [Coworker #1] also loves the Monty Python musical “Spamalot,” so I put on the cast recording to listen to while we cook. [Coworker #2] is famous for not having much of a sense of humor and being a bit slow on the draw. This happens while listening to “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”.)

Coworker #2: “What does he mean when he says, ‘The last laugh is on you.’?”

Me: “He’s saying that you should try to make people happy while you’re alive, but to remember that at the end, you die.”

Coworker #2: *horrified* “That’s awful! Why is the music so happy for that?”

Coworker #1: “It’s a comedy; they’re just poking fun.”

Coworker #2: “What a terrible thing to say! Why would people ever watch this?”

([Coworker #1] and I just kind of blink at her, but she doesn’t say anything else. The next day, my manager pulls me aside.)

Manager: *to me* “[Coworker #2] has made a complaint about you and [Coworker #1]. She said that you might be a danger to customers because you think death is funny. Can you explain this?”

(Instead of explaining, I simply play the Monty Python song for my manager. After listening…)

Manager: *smiles* “Can I have a copy of the album? I love Monty Python!”

(We listened to it about once a month after that, ignoring [Coworker #2] as she glowered at all of us singing along.)


This story is part of the singing silliness roundup!

Read the next singing silliness roundup story!

Read the singing silliness roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!