Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Demands Are Reaching Breaking Point

, , , , | Right | September 28, 2014

(It is Thanksgiving night and our store has been open for about four hours already. It’s been very busy and we have a much larger than normal team to oversee. A woman has approached my coworker, asking about a certain item.)

Coworker: “Well, I’m not sure. Let me find someone to ask.”

(He calls on his walkie for that section and gets no response. I happen to be walking by when he stops me and asks if I know.)

Me: “Sorry, I really don’t know at all. Who’s here right now?”

(The guest meanders off a few feet looking at another display. We look at the schedule trying to find who is here and not on break since we all came in around the same time and by law need a 30-minute non-paid break.)

Customer: “I just don’t understand what is taking so long. Why is it so d*** hard to find someone? Why can’t anyone just get this item for me?”

(As this goes on my coworker is trying to get someone to answer on the walkie.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. But we can’t leave the front end because of how busy we are. If you can give me just a moment, please. I need to check the schedule before I can call someone. We’re just trying to find out who is here and not on break right now.”

Customer: “Well, why would they be on break?”

Me: “We all came in around the same time to open the store tonight and we have to stagger our breaks, so I just need a moment to find out who is on the floor right now.”

Customer: “I just don’t understand why the h*** anyone would be on break! They’re here to work! Not to take a break! They need to get back to work! This is bad business!”

Me: “Do you take a break at work?”

Customer: *scoffs* “Well, of course, I do!”

Me: “Then wouldn’t you think we should get a break, too?”

Customer: “No! Not tonight! This is different! Why is no one able to help me?!”

(By some miracle, God smiles down on me and someone from a nearby section answers on the walkie and says to send the guest down.)

Customer: “Finally! This shouldn’t have taken so f****** long! I’ll be calling corporate!”

Me: “You do that. Happy Thanksgiving!”


This story is part of our Thanksgiving roundup!

Read the next Thanksgiving roundup story!

Read the Thanksgiving roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!