Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Delivering Some Sweet Justice

, , , , | Right | February 4, 2021

I’m the senior assistant manager in a very popular fast food restaurant. Due to the UK’s lockdown, head office has decided for all of our stores in the UK to operate only drive-thru and delivery while they review safety measures. Since my store doesn’t have a drive-thru, we’re currently operating a delivery-only service and have been for over a week at this point.

I answer the phone.

Me: “Good afternoon, [Restaurant].”

Caller: “Hi. Can I speak to a manager, please?”

Me: “Certainly. I’m the senior assistant; how can I help?”

Caller: “I ordered from you guys yesterday and got my food, but when I got home, I realised half of it was missing. I wanted to know what you could do about it.”

We frequently get calls of this nature, and unfortunately, a large number of them are scams just trying to get free food. At this point, I assume good intent, and I wonder if he means he ordered through a nearby store’s drive-thru, so I first clarify the situation.

Me: “Okay, just to confirm, this is the [Restaurant] in the city centre, not [Nearby Store with a drive-thru]. You ordered with us last night?”

Caller: “Yes, that’s right.”

Me: “Okay, and you came inside the store and ordered for takeaway?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Now I know this is someone pulling a fast one, so I decide it’s time to drop the bombshell.

Me: “Ah, well, that’s funny, because we’re currently not taking in-store orders. We’re operating a delivery-only service.”

There’s a slight pause as the customer processes what I said.

Caller: “So, you’re not taking any in-store orders?”

Me: “No, we’re not.”

Caller: “Oh. And you’re the city centre store?”

Me: “That’s right. Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

I assume that will be the end of it, but this guy is persistent.

Caller: “Well, it may have been a couple of days ago, not yesterday.”

Me: “We’ve been operating delivery-only for over a week now.”

Caller: “Well, I came in and ordered from somewhere! Maybe it wasn’t this store. What was the other one you mentioned?”

Me: “[Nearby Store], but they are also currently operating drive-thru and delivery only, no in-store orders.”

Caller: “I’ll have to call other stores and find out if it was them.”

Me: “This is a company-wide decision. None of our stores in the UK are taking in-store orders.”

Caller: “Well, the one I was at did!”

Me: “I can guarantee they weren’t. Is that everything today?”

Caller: *Pauses* “I suppose.”

Me: “Okay, well, thank you, and have a nice day!”

That exchange was the perfect way to cheer me up after a less-than-stellar first half of the shift.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!