Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Delivering Back Some Bad Behavior

, , , , , | Right | January 2, 2020

(I work as a delivery driver for one of the largest supermarkets in England, delivering groceries to customers at home. On this particular day, I’m off-road and working backroom. One of the other drivers has had to stop driving his van because smoke is pouring out of the engine and into the cab. He is just around the corner from the store so he returns and takes the shopping back out in a spare vehicle. His van is logged as late and customers are notified. One customer calls customer service and demands a callback from someone at the store. My colleague does this.)

Colleague: “Hi, this is [Colleague] from [Supermarket]. I understand you want a callback regarding your delivery?”

Customer: “Yes. Why is my shopping late?”

(It isn’t actually late yet; it’s still within the booked delivery window.)

Colleague: “Yes, unfortunately, one of our vans had some mechanical trouble and broke down, so the driver had to return to store and change vehicle, but he is out on the road now and should be with you in the next ten minutes.” *still well within the delivery window*

Customer: “YOU ARE A LIAR! THE VAN DID NOT BREAK DOWN! YOU ARE LYING TO ME!” *hangs up*

(Several callback attempts were made but the customer just blocked the number. When the driver finally got to the address, the customer was incredibly rude to him. She refused to take the shopping at first, and then accepted it but was verbally abusive to the driver, making racist remarks and implying he was mentally handicapped. The customer was blacklisted.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!