Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Deafening Ignorance

| Friendly | January 19, 2017

(My sister was born deaf but she signs and reads lips. I was taught to sign from a very early age. We’re eating at a restaurant when a group of 5 women, all in their 30s, are seated near us at a table in the middle of the floor. My sister is using sign, telling me a story about work. She is facing towards the restaurant floor and I have my back to everyone.)

Customer #1: “Oh, my god! Look at that. Do you see those women?”

Customer #2: “Who are you looking at? The girls signing?”

Customer #1: “Yeah. They shouldn’t be allowed out like that. That’s really offensive.”

Customers #2, #3, #4: “What?”

Customer #1: “Shouldn’t they have a helper? What if they spaz out or something?”

Customer #3: “Are you kidding? They’re deaf. They’re not bloody gorillas!”

Customer #5: “I’m gonna say something to the waitress. I’m not comfortable with this. I’ve seen people like that go on a rampage over the slightest thing.”

(My sister and I are just sitting, eating, while all this goes on. They obviously don’t know I can hear or my sister can read (some of their) lips.)

Sister: “Is this really happening? What is the redhead saying?” *meaning Customer #5*

Me: “She wants to complain to the waitress in case we ‘freak out’ and get all Hulky.”

(My sister laughs at this which causes all the women to look at us and each other pretty shiftily. Their conversation goes on for about five minutes. They use some awful words to describe people with special needs which gets them some looks from the other diners. Eventually another customer calls the waitress to his table. I can’t hear what he says and my sister can’t see his mouth. The waitress leaves and goes about her duties. She then goes to the table of women.)

Waitress: “Ladies, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. Some of our customers are very upset with the language and tone of your conversation.”

Customer #1: “What the h***! They’re the one’s causing the f****** problem.”  *gesturing to me and my sister* “Sitting there like they’re NORMAL. How can people like that even afford to eat here?”

(This woman is causing such a scene that the manager comes over. I’ve had enough by now and go over to the table.)

Me: “Hi. I just wanted to say that I and my sister won’t ‘spaz out,’ we aren’t ‘retards’ or ‘mongs.’ My sister is deaf, that’s all. Oh, and I can afford to eat here as I work for the police, courts, and county council as a private signer.”

(Customers #1 and #5 go very red and their friends glare at them.)

Customer #2: “I am so sorry. How about if my two ‘friends’ leave?”

Me: “Of course. Ignorance is so off putting when you’re trying to enjoy a quiet meal.”

(This makes my sister laugh again and everyone looks at her.)

Me: “Oh, yeah, she reads lips.”

(The two rude women got up and flounced out. The other three women were very apologetic and kindly offered to pay for our meal but the restaurant covered it for us in the end.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!