Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Deactivism

, , , , , | Learning | January 23, 2014

(Near my home is a very expensive liberal arts college whose student body seems to largely fall into two categories: hipsters and overly-aggressive, often misinformed “activists.” I am walking my large husky near the campus. An activist practically runs up to me.)

Student Activist: “Excuse me, miss. Can I have a moment of your time to talk about animal rights and exotic animal ownership?”

Me: “Actually, a few years ago I spent a summer interning at [Wildlife Sanctuary] and am pretty well versed in the dangers of having exotic animals as pets and the issues surrounding it. I assure you I’m against it. Good luck to you.”

Student Activist: “Oh, so you ‘understand’ and are ‘against it,’ huh?”

Me: “Yes. That’s what I said.”

Student Activist: “So I suppose those rules are only for other people and not for you.”

Me: “What? No. What are you talking about?”

Student Activist: “I’m talking about that wolf you’re walking around an urban area!”

Me: “What, him?!” *unable to resist laughing* “He’s definitely not a wolf.”

Student Activist: “He’s clearly too large! He’s a hybrid at the very least.”

Me: “I’ll admit he’s on the tall side for a husky, but I assure you he is all purebred husky.”

Student Activist: “If he’s not dangerous, why is he wearing a muzzle!?”

Me: “That’s a ‘Gentle Leader.’ If it was a muzzle, would his whole mouth be hanging out?”

(The student activist goes on a rant about how I’m oppressing a wild animal. I decide to have some fun.)

Me: “[Dog]! Howl! Come on boy, howl!”

(My dog wags his tail like crazy and admits a very loud and wolf-like howl that huskies are famous for.)

Me: “Yay! Good boy!” *rubs my very excited dog’s belly and scratches his ears*

Student Activist: “Well, you should be ashamed of yourself for buying a designer purebred and contributing to overpopulation of dogs!”

Me: “Yeah, hun. I’m leaving now, but just so you know, I got him from a rescue when he was five months old. Bye now.”

(On my way back home, I heard a familiar voice scolding someone for having the audacity to eat a hamburger in his presence.)


This story is part of our Animal Shelter Roundup!

Read the next Animal Shelter Roundup story!

Read the Animal Shelter roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!