Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Day A Hurricane Came Through The Drive-Thru

, , , , , , , | Right | November 2, 2017

(Hurricane Harvey is in the area. While my section of Texas is clear of the core of the storm, the rain bands cause quite a bit of flooding along with, understandably, a decline of people. We have already been allowed by corporate to shut down the restaurant early if we aren’t turning a profit for six 15-minute periods straight. We are not making profits and, thankfully, the weather isn’t getting worse in our area. Therefore, the manager has decided to close the restaurant and has already posted signs on all the doors and drive-thru window, and has slipped a sign behind the plastic of the menu board. I am still wearing the headset while helping my coworkers and manager, who is also wearing a headset, take care of cleaning, storage, and the like, when I hear a ping. I ignore this for a while until I hear the customer.)

Customer: “Hello, I’d like to—” *starts rattling off a 20+ item order*

Me: *interrupting the ordering* “I am sorry, sir, but we are closed due to the hurricane.”

Customer: “Yes, and I’d like ten large sodas—” *starts to rattle them off*

Me: “I am sorry, sir, but we are closed, due to the weather. We will be open again at 10:00 am tomorrow, and we do apologize for the incon—”

Customer: “I thought this was a 24/7 restaurant and, besides, it’s only 10:15!”

Me: “First, we are not 24/7. Second, even if we were, we are closing due to the storm, as indicated by the sign on the menu board.”

Customer: “Are you going to take my f****** order or not?!”

Me: “Sir, we are not able to make you anything as we have closed early. Please look at th—”

(I hear the car screech away and think this is the last of it until we hear a constant stream of honking from the window. As I’m the closest to the window, cleaning some of the equipment nearby, I decide to try again by pointing to the sign.)

Sign: “Due to inclement weather, the lobby will be closing at 8:00 pm and the drive-thru will close at 10:00 pm. The store will re-open at 10:00 am without breakfast menu items. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

(They just honk their horn before trying to force open the window, at which point I get my manager.)

Me: “[Manager]! GET OVER HERE, NOW! HE’S TRYING TO BREAK OPEN OUR WINDOW!”

Manager: *grabbing the store phone and her own cell phone* “Get your cell phone ready to call the police.” *yelling through the closed window* “SIR, WE ARE CLOSED DUE TO THE HURRICANE! WE ARE TRYING TO CLEAN AND GET EVERYTHING READY FOR TOMORROW! IF YOU DO NOT LEAVE, WE ARE GOING TO CALL THE POLICE!”

(The customer starts using strings of curses and insults, and almost causes a wreck getting off of our property onto the street. After a few minutes of trying to process what happened, we all start to get back to work and think this really is end of it. Sadly, a few moments later, the phone rings and my manager answers it.)

Manager: “Thank you for calling [Restaurant]. Just to let you know, we are closed right now du—” *pause* “Sir, we have several signs up on the doors, windows, and the menu board. Furthermore, we could have called the cops on you when you attempted to break and enter. Lastly, through the window we saw you speed into the street in front of another car. If you have any issues with us closing early due to this storm, then you are free to call [Corporate Phone Number], but they were the ones to inform us that we are okay to close early as needed.”

(About two days later, we heard that the customer did indeed try to make a complaint, claiming we served other customers after he left, that we were discriminating against him, and various other bulls***. However, they were all dismissed, and his phone number, along with details from the outside cameras, were given to police for them to handle.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!