Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2013

Jump to page:

The Blue Sky Is Falling

| Right | September 14, 2013

(‘Skyfall’ has just come out on DVD. A female customer in her 40s is looking through a shelf. She seems confused, so I go to help.)

Me: “Hi, can I help you?”

Customer: “Yes, I’m looking for Skyfall on Blu-Ray.”

Me: “This way.”

(I show her the Blu-Ray.)

Customer: “Thanks.”

(I ring the customer up, and she stares at the DVD when I hand it to her.)

Customer: “That’s not the right one.”

Me: “Really?”

Customer: “Yes, it’s Blu-Ray.”

(I check and it definitely is Blu-Ray.)

Me: “It is Blu-Ray.”

Customer: “It’s not blue!”

One Good Store Deserves Another

| Right | September 14, 2013

(I’m stationed at the front register, and so most phone calls and customer questions go through me. An hour into my shift, the phone rings.)

Me: “Thank you for calling Walgreens at [intersection]. How may I help you?”

Caller: “What’s the address for the nearest CVS?”

Me: “Ma’am, you’re calling Walgreens.”

Caller: *irately* “Yes, and I want you to tell me where CVS is!”

Me: “Well, I’m at [intersection], and there’s one right across the street, if that help—”

Caller: *hangs up*

(The incident is a little odd, but new customers come through my line almost immediately, and I forget about it. Three hours later, a customer comes in and heads straight for my register.)

Customer: “What are the hours for the CVS pharmacy?”

Me: “I’m not sure, ma’am. You’re actually in Walgreens.”

Customer: *irately* “Yes, and I want to know the hours for CVS!”

(At this point, I realize that this is the same customer I’d spoken to on the phone.)

Me: “I don’t have any idea. We aren’t actually affiliated with CVS, but—”

Customer: “GOD, you don’t have to be so rude to me! I’ll call your manager!” *storms out*

Unsure How To Insure, Part 3

| Working | September 13, 2013

Caller: “Hello, this is [Caller] from [Credit Card Company]. I would like to tell you about our life insurance for only $10 a month.”

Me: “Hello, I’m sorry but I already have a life insurance with another company.”

Caller: “Don’t you care about your family?”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Caller: “Because if you die, your family will get [amount].”

Me: “I’ve already told you. It’s already covered by another company! I’m sorry; I’m working right now and can’t discuss this any longer.”

Caller: “Well I hope you get hit by a car on your way out!” *click*

 

The Yeast Of Your Worries

| Right | September 13, 2013

(I work at a pet store/grooming salon establishment. One of the grooming dogs comes in with a suspected yeast infection. We inform the customer of the possibility, and they say they will take care of it. A week later, I’m opening the store and the customer comes back in.)

Customer: “I demand to speak to the groomer!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but she’s not here right now. She doesn’t have any groom appointments for today. Was there anything I could help you with?”

Customer: “Yeah, you can explain to me why the h*** your groomer said my dog had a yeast infection, when nothing I’ve been doing to treat it has been working! I demand reimbursement for the cost of the treatment!”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that ma’am, but I’m afraid we can’t reimburse you for veterinary treatment you’ve sought because of a medical condition that existed in your dog prior to the grooming appointment.”

Customer: “Veterinary treatment? I didn’t go to the vet!”

Me: “You haven’t? What treatment have you been using that needs reimbursing?”

Customer: “I’ve bought $40 worth of bread in the past week!”

Me: “…bread?”

Customer: “Yeah! The groomer said it was a f****** yeast infection, so I’ve been giving him lots of bread to fix it!”

Me: “I’m… not sure I follow ma’am.”

Customer: “What, am I not giving him enough bread? Does he need bread with more yeast in it?”

Me: “Oh… OH! Uhm, having a yeast infection doesn’t mean he needs to eat things with yeast IN it.”

Customer: “So… he doesn’t need bread?”

Me: “…no.”

(I instruct the customer to add pro-biotic yogurt to her dog’s food and take him to the vet as soon as she could. The customer leaves rather embarrassed. We get a call later on that her dog recovers soon after that, and now she’s a regular customer for yogurt dental bones!)

Sold A Game, Bought A Life-Lesson

, , , , | Right | September 13, 2013

(I work in a store that sells and buys used games, consoles, and computers. We require that everyone who sells us something shows an ID. A young customer comes to the store to sell PS3 games.)

Me: “Hey there. What have you got for us?”

Customer: “Some games.”

(He puts the games on the counter. I check them and we agree on the price.)

Me: “Okay, I’ll need your ID, please.”

Customer: “What?! No! Why?”

Me: “It’s store policy, and it really helps with cutting down the number of people trying to sell us stolen items. I know it’s a bit of drag when selling just games, but we buy a lot of expensive electronics, as well. There’s no way around it I’m afraid.”

Customer: “No one is required to carry around an ID in Finland! That is the law! We are free here.”

Me: “Sure, but I’m not required to buy these games from you either.”

Customer: “But I don’t have to have my ID with me. It’s the f***** law. Check it, you ignorant dumb-a**!”

Me: “What that law means is that you can’t get arrested for being without an ID, but there is still a whole bunch of stuff that you can’t do. You can’t get a loan from the bank, make a phone contract, etc… I’m done arguing about this. Show me an ID, or I won’t buy these games. It’s as simple as that.”

Customer: “Fine! Whatever!”

(The customer throws his ID on the counter, fuming. We get the transaction done, and he goes to the shopping area to look at the games on sale. After a while, the alarm at the door goes off. I look up and see the same customer bolting from the store. A coworker starts to run after him. I stop him.)

Me: “Don’t bother. That guy just sold us some games.”

(My coworker laughs so hard he has to go to the office. I look up the customer’s info and call the number services to get his phone number. I call him and he answers.)

Customer: “Yeah?”

Me: “Hey, this is [My Name] from [Store].”

(There is a long silence.)

Me: “Yeah, if you could just bring back the games you stole, that would be great.”

Customer: “I, uh…”

Me: “Otherwise, we will be forced to contact the police. Come now and we can settle this.”

Customer: *sheepishly* “Okay. Don’t call the police, please.”

Me: “Be here in five minutes.”

(After about two minutes, he comes running through the door. I take him to the office, and he gives me back the stolen game. I look at him closely and can see that he is really scared.)

Customer: “I’m so sorry! I’m not a thief. I just got pissed because of the whole ID argument and wasn’t thinking straight. My dad is a lawyer, and I guess I thought I knew about this stuff. I was stupid and wrong. Please don’t call the police; I’m not a criminal.”

(I believe him and actually feel kind of sorry for him. He is only eighteen after all, and everyone makes mistakes.)

Me: “Okay, I believe you have learned a lesson. We forgive you, and the matter is settled.”

(He thanked me profusely and left. The next day, he showed up to the store with some candy and pastries for the whole staff. Over the next months, he has become a regular of the store. He is always very polite and nice and has even been seen arranging the games after other customers have messed up the shelves. He is a far cry from the arrogant brat that came to the store the first time. Everyone deserves a break.)


This story is part of our Thrift Store roundup!

Read the next Thrift Store roundup story!

Read the Thrift Store roundup!