Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2013

Jump to page:

The Maine Difference Between The Accents

| Right | September 26, 2013

(I work in a travel plaza in a town in central Maine, fairly close to the Canada/USA border. The plaza is the only sort of gas station, restaurant, and other amenity on the highway for miles, so we get the gamut of travelers, most of whom are weary from long hours of driving. We are encouraged to be as helpful as possible, and to make conversation while ringing up customers.)

Me: “Did you find everything alright?”

Customer: “Well, I did in here, but…”

Me: “But?”

Customer: “You from around here?”

Me: “Actually, I grew up in the next town over.”

Customer: “Excellent. What is there to do in this area?”

(I offer a few suggestions of popular tourist attractions, and unique local restaurants. The customer gives me an odd look and is silent while I tell him his total. While I’m counting his change, he suddenly explodes. He knocks half his purchases off the counter to get in my face and starts shouting.)

Customer: “DON’T YOU LIE TO ME!”

Me: “I’m sorry; excuse me?!”

Customer: “You stupid b****! There’s no WAY you’re from here! How do I know everything you just told me isn’t all fake? I want to talk to someone who is actually from this area!”

Me: “With all due respect, sir, what makes you say that?”

Customer: “You don’t have the accent!”

Me: “What?”

Customer: “See! I told you you were lying! If you really grew up here, you’d have that authentic Maine accent! ‘Pahk the arnge cah in the yahd’.”

Me: *drawling into a thick ‘Maine’ accent* “Ayuh well there sir what you got yourself there is a Boston accent; you ain’t soundin’ like no Mainer, deyah.”

Customer: “What the f*** did you just say?!”

Me: *in normal voice* “I said, I worked very hard growing up to learn to enunciate properly, but I can assure you I’m far more authentically Maine than these lobster souvenirs you just spent $10 on and then broke. I’m glad to know my hard work paid off. Have a safe trip now, ‘deyah.'”

Veteran Veterinarian

| Right | September 26, 2013

(A girl of about 11 years old, who is a frequent library user, has brought a stack of books to my counter to check out. I’m in my 20s.)

Me: “Oh, lots of books about being a veterinarian!”

Girl: *nods head enthusiastically*

Me: “Well, when you become a vet I’ll bring my pets to you.”

Girl: *startled expression* “You’ll be dead by then!”

Living By A (Bar)Code Of Honesty

| Right | September 26, 2013

(I am working customer service when an elderly couple with no items walk up to the counter and hand me a barcode.)

Me: “Hi, how can I help you today?”

Elderly Man: “Yes, we would like to purchase this item please”.

Me: “Oh, did you want to pay for it now and pick it up later? In that case I’ll need a couple of your details.”

Elderly Man: “No, that’s not it. Yesterday we purchased all these garden products and noticed the lady at the checkout forgot to scan this barcode. I’d like to pay for it.”

(I stand there, very much surprised.)

Me: “Yeah, sure thing.”

(I scan the barcode and the elderly woman pays. I stop them before they leave.)

Me: “By the way, can I still grab your details? I’ve never had anyone come back and do what you just did. I’ll pass them onto my manager and see if I can get them to send you something for being so honest.”

(The elderly couple smiles brightly, and the man gives me a business card. After they leave, I attach the card to a note to my manager explaining the situation. As far as I know, they didn’t get anything from her, but they got a whole lot of respect and admiration from me!)

The Blessing Becomes A Curse

| Working | September 26, 2013

(A couple with a very pronounced Southern accent come in and purchase a few things. They’re very polite and the transaction goes far more smoothly than most.)

Me: “And here is your change. Thank you, sir!”

Customer: “Nah, thank you darlin’! Y’all have a blessed day now!”

(After they leave, my coworker turns to me with a look of disgust.)

Coworker: “Can you believe that?”

Me: “What?”

Coworker: “I can’t believe you didn’t say anything!”

Me: “About what?”

Coworker: “About what he said to you!” *mockingly imitating the customer’s accent* “‘Y’all have a blessed day;’ that’s so offensive! I mean, you’re atheist! He was imposing his beliefs on you!”

Me: “Not really. I mean, I appreciate what you’re saying, but there was no way for him to know I’m an atheist. Besides, he was just trying to spread good will and kindness in wishing me a day with blessings from what he believes is the highest authority. He was just being a good Christian. It’s not like he lectured me.”

Coworker: “He didn’t have to force it on you like that though! We have freedom of religion in this country for a reason! And if he really was a good Christian, he’d have a beard to go with that mustache. It’s in Leviathan.”

Me: “I think you should probably just kind of stop. Go clean the soda fountain or something.”

Coworker: “But the First Amendment—”

Me: “—has nothing to do with soda. Now, scoot.”

Inject Some Humor Into The Situation

| Right | September 26, 2013

(I am four years old, and in need of vaccinations. The nurse is babying me about it.)

Me: “Just do it; I’m not scared.”

(I have the vaccination with no problem.)

Nurse: “Wow, you’re one of the toughest kids I’ve met.”

Me: “Really? It’s nothing.”

Nurse: “Oh, you are tough. Half of the kids your age come in crying.”

Me: “Because they’re babies! I’m not.”

Nurse: “Let me tell you something. I have a friend who is also a nurse. A 40-year-old man needed an injection and he cried for 10 minutes before he calmed down enough for her to inject him. And he cried after she stuck him too.”

Me: “Really?!”

Nurse: “Yeah. I wish he could have seen you.”