Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2013

Jump to page:

You Would Not Be-Leaf The 2nd Gift

| Related | December 23, 2013

(It is Christmas, and I’m opening presents.)

Dad: “Open that one next, sweetie.”

(He points to a box, which I open. Inside is one of those obnoxious singing and dancing robot Christmas trees. I’m a bit shocked and dismayed, as I had pointed out how much I hate these things when we went shopping the week before Christmas.)

Me: “Uh, weren’t you listening when I said I thought these were the most annoying things ever?”

Dad: “I know, I know. But… open that one next.”

(This time he points to a long, heavy package. I eye him suspiciously, but open it up to reveal a sledgehammer.)

Me: “What the? Is this for what I think it’s for?”

Dad: “And you thought I wasn’t paying attention!”

Adding Consult To Injury

| Working | December 23, 2013

(My mother has a fall on the stairs. My sister and I take her to the hospital to get a cast on her leg. While we’re there, my mother mentions that my sister had an operation on her kneecaps about one year ago.)

Doctor: “Really? How is it developing?”

(My sister shows him one of her knees).

Sister: “Hurts a little if I run, but it’s going well.”

Doctor: “Ah. I suggest you to do some exercise, like using a stationary bike.”

(Once my mom has her cast, we start to leave. We then notice that there’s an extra 400 pesos charge for a medical consultation unrelated to my mom.)

Mom: “Excuse me. What is this extra consultation here?”

Receptionist: “It was for the examination of your daughter.”

Mom: “Examination? He looked at her leg and suggested exercise!”

(They argue for a moment, until the doctor comes in.)

Mom: “Excuse me. You’re charging us extra for looking at my daughter’s leg?”

Doctor: “Well, I did give medical advice, so it was a consultation.”

(I look outside at the sign in front of the hospital. It should be noted that I’m studying communications in college.)

Me: “Excuse me. Might I offer a suggestion?”

Doctor: “Yes?”

Me: “Some of the letters in the sign outside can be a little difficult to read when they pass the pink stripes in the sign. I think you should change their color so people can read it easier from a distance.”

Doctor: *confused* “Okay. Thank you.”

Me: “You owe me 2,000 pesos for the image consultation.”

(They decide to drop the charge.)

Bromancing The Stone

| Romantic | December 23, 2013

(Two of my male friends are basically soul mates. They have been best friends for almost their entire lives, and can quite easily finish each others thoughts and sentences. They’re completely secure in their sexualities, too. While they’re both straight, they sometimes appear to be a gay couple to people who don’t know them well.)

Friend #1: “So, [Friend #2], how about that girl you were chatting to earlier? She was pretty fit.”

Friend #2: “Yeah, but she was as dumb as a box of rocks. Can’t have sex with someone who can barely read.”

(A new friend in the group suddenly pipes up.)

New Friend: “Wait a sec. I thought you two were gay?”

Me: “Haha, yeah. They seem like that. They’re both totally straight.”

New Friend: “Oh… So why are they holding hands?”

(We all peer around the table to see that they are indeed holding hands. They look at their hands, then up at each other. Then they speak in unison:)

Both: “I don’t know who started this, but I’ll be d***ed if I let go first.”

Learning On The Fly

| Learning | December 23, 2013

(Our teacher has made the class do a ‘mock trial’ to better understand the justice system. Every student is assigned a role of judge, jurors, defendant, lawyer, etc. Most of the class is unsure of what to do, since we’ve never done this before. We ask the teacher to guide us.)

Student #1: “Teacher, what do we do next?”

Teacher: “Oh, don’t mind me. I’m just a fly on the wall!”

Student #1: “But—”

Teacher: “I’m not going to help. You all should know what to do next. So don’t bother me. I’m just a fly on the wall, observing!”

(The class looks at one another.)

Student #2: “Anyone have a fly-swatter?”

Part Of The Marriage Tree-ty

| Romantic | December 23, 2013

(My husband and I have just pulled out our fake Christmas tree and are putting it up. We’re both working on fluffing out the branches.)

Me: “Man, your side looks so much better than my side!”

Husband: “I’m more anal about how the tree looks when it’s done.”

Me: “This is true. And you’re way more anal about the lights on the tree than I am!”

Husband: “Absolutely. In fact, in the interests of marital harmony, go sit down and let me do this myself.”