Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2013

Jump to page:

The Register Light Is On But Nobody’s Home

| Right | November 9, 2013

(I live in a small town with only two grocery stores. I’m constantly complimented on my friendliness and professionalism. When it’s slow, we assist customers. Today a customer has asked me to return a cart, during which we’re told to put our closed sign up on our lane, but keep the light on. After assisting three more customers, I wander back to my till that has the closed sign up to find a woman unloading her cart at my till.)

Me: “Oh! Hello, ma’am. Just for future reference, even if the light is on, but the closed sign is up, the till is not open. That way you won’t have to wait next time.”

Customer: “THE LIGHT WAS ON! YOU’RE OPEN IF IT’S ON!”

Me: “Ma’am, I do apologize, but the sign was clearly up. I’m just letting you know for next time so you won’t be delayed! I truly apolo—”

Customer: “IF THE F****** LIGHT IS ON, YOU’RE GODDAMNED OPEN. SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DO YOUR JOB!”

Me: “Ma’am, I truly am sorry about that—”

(At this point, the customer has finished slamming her purchases onto the counter and leans over the lane to be about two inches from my face. It should be noted I’m in my mid-twenties.)

Customer: “I DID NOT COME HERE TO BE LECTURED BY SOME STUPID LITTLE CHILD!”

Me: “Ma’am, I apologize. I wasn’t trying to lecture you—”

Customer: “MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU CAN SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DO YOUR JOB, YOU IDIOT!”

(At this point I stay quiet throughout the rest of the transaction, process her card, and hand her the receipt to sign. I say nothing.)

Customer: “Thank you!”

Me: “…”

Customer: “I SAID THANK YOU!”

(As she leaves, she pulls over my supervisor.)

Customer: “I need to give a formal complaint about the horrible and disrespectful service this employee gave!”

(The next customer going through the till behind me walks over.)

Next Customer: “And I have to comment on how polite that employee was, despite you being so rude!”

(Both customers got into a verbal altercation. Thank you to the random customer who stood up for me!)

Sample Not So Simple

| Working | November 9, 2013

(An employee with samples approaches me.)

Employee: “Miss, would you like to try some [juice brand]?”

Me: *smiling* “No, thank you.”

Employee: “Why not?”

Me: “Well, I brushed my teeth five minutes ago; I don’t think juice would taste very good.”

Employee: *angrily* “Well, you do plan on drinking again at some point today don’t you?”

Me: “Yeah…”

(I start walking away, but the employee starts shouting up the aisle at me.)

Employee: “That’s fine; I respect the customer’s choice!”

Don’t Be Forward, Just Lean Forward

| Right | November 8, 2013

(A customer with rather large breasts approaches me.)

Customer: “Excuse me; can you help me please?”

Me: “Of course, ma’am. What can I help you find today?”

Customer: “I’m looking for books about plastic surgery.”

Me: “Ah, I see. Well, let’s just look on the computer and see what we can come up with. Do you have a particular area you’re interested in reading about?”

Customer: “I bet you can’t guess!”

Me: “I wouldn’t want to be forward!”

Customer: “Well, breast reduction surgery, then. Shy, aren’t you?”

Me: “Just a little, yes. Let’s see what I can find.”

Customer: “I’m always having back problems! These are just too big; I want to see if I can get them smaller.”

Me: “It’s probably best to check with a doctor first, but maybe we can find something that will help you know what questions to ask.”

Customer: “Well, don’t you agree they’re too big?”

Me: “Er, again, I wouldn’t like to be forward.”

Customer: “Oh, come on. You can touch them and see how big they are for yourself!”

Me: “WHAT!”

Customer: “C’mon, touch ’em!”

(The customer reaches for my wrist.)

Me: “No, that’s okay!”

Customer: “TOUCH MY PUPPIES!”

Me: “Let me see if I can find someone more experienced with this.”

Customer: “Why won’t shy guys touch my breasts!?”

Doesn’t Give Two Hoots About Listening

| Right | November 8, 2013

(My city is having an annual festival in the downtown area. I have an animatronic owl that I like to bring out on such occasions. It sits on my shoulder and moves in a very life-like manner. Kids love it and are very respectful of it. Adults, on the other hand are not. A woman grabs me by the shoulder, spins me around, and yells…)

Woman: “WHAT IS THAT?!”

Me: “Whoa… um, please don’t touch me. It’s a puppet.”

(I begin to walk away, but she grabs me again and tries to knock the owl off my shoulder.)

Woman: “IT LOOKS SO REAL! WHY DO YOU HAVE AN OWL ON YOUR SHOULDER?! HAVING A PET OWL IS ILLEGAL!”

Me: “Again, please don’t touch me, and DO NOT touch my puppet. And it IS a puppet, not real. It’s made of faux fur, polymer and cables.”

(The woman starts yelling to a police officer, who is monitoring the event.)

Woman: “THIS WOMAN HAS A PET OWL! ARREST HER! IT’S ILLEGAL!”

(The officer comes over, and examines my owl puppet.)

Officer: “So how does this thing work?”

(I explain how I control it with a hidden cable, and how it’s made.)

Woman: “SHE’S LYING! THAT’S A REAL BIRD!”

Officer: “Ma’am, it’s obviously a puppet. A very neat and realistic puppet, but a puppet all the same. I’m going to have to ask you to stop yelling; you’re causing a disturbance.”

Woman: “DON’T LET HER FOOL YOU! IT’S A REAL BIRD!”

(I remove the owl from my shoulder, showing that it stays put with magnets and reveal the hidden cable.)

Woman: “MURDERER! YOU MURDERED AN INNOCENT OWL! MURDERER!”

Officer: “Okay, that’s it. You’re coming with me!”

Maybe Crazy Is In Her Nature

| Right | November 8, 2013

(I have fairly long hair, which is dyed dark forest green. I am looking in the produce section, when someone grabs a handful of my hair and pulls on it as hard as they can. I cry out in pain and turn around to see an old woman glaring at me.)

Me: “That hurt! Why would you do that?”

Old Woman: “That didn’t hurt you, ya’ big baby! Anyone can see that hair ain’t real!”

(She reaches for my hair again; I back up and almost knock over a small wire display rack.)

Me: “Don’t touch me!”

(By now we’ve attracted the attention of a nearby manager.)

Manager: “Is there a problem here?”

Old Woman: “Yes there is! This is a natural market! I come here to see natural things, and that hair ain’t natural! I want her out of here!”

Manager: “I can’t do that, but I can call the police because I’m pretty sure pulling someone’s hair counts as assault.”

(The old lady looks stunned, and hurries away. The manager makes sure I’m alright before she goes on her way.)