Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2011

Jump to page:

Barcode Overload

, , , | Right | March 6, 2011

(A customer is in my line with a large box. I lean over and hold my hand scanner upside-down to reach it.)

Customer: “Wow! You can scan barcodes upside down now? Technology these days!”


This story is part of our Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup!

Read the next Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup story!

Read the Crazy Checkout Encounters roundup!

After Sickness It Is Best To Re-coupon-ate

, , , , , , | Right | March 6, 2011

(The customer hands me a coupon that has been expired for five months.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. This coupon expired back in June.”

Customer: “I know. I was diagnosed with cancer and I went to Europe for four months for experimental treatment.”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that, sir. I do hope your health is improving. Unfortunately, I still can’t accept this coupon. Even if it wasn’t expired, it can’t be used on sale items.”

Customer: “This is a load of s***! You’re going to penalize me for having cancer?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. There is nothing I can do.”

Customer: “Don’t give me that crap. I’m going to call my lawyer. You can’t discriminate against me because I have cancer.”

Me: “Sir, there is nothing I can do. The system won’t allow me to override sales.”

Customer: “Let me speak to [Manager].”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. He’s not in today. I can call another manager.”

Customer: “I know he’s here! You’re just not telling me because he’ll make you give me the discount. I am not leaving until I speak to him.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but [Manager] is not here today. Five months ago, they discovered he had a brain tumor. When they operated on him, it caused a brain bleed and he had a stroke.”

*awkward silence*

Customer’s Wife: “Well, I bet you feel like an a** now! Trying to use cancer as an excuse!”


This story is part of our roundup about people lying about their health!

Read the next story in this roundup here!

Read the roundup itself here!

Houston Had It Easy

, , , , | Right | March 5, 2011

(It is 1995, and I am working in a video rental store.)

Customer: “What do you have in that’s good?”

Me: “Well, we just got Apollo 13 in. It’s the true story of the Apollo mission.”

(The customer looks perplexed.)

Me: “You know. ‘Houston, we have a problem.’

Customer: “Does it have any aliens in it?”


This story is part of the Movie Rental roundup!

Read the next Movie Rental roundup story!

Read the Movie Rental roundup!


This story is part of our Bad-With-History roundup!

Read the next Bad-With-History roundup story!

Read the Bad-With-History roundup!

Tiger, Tiger, Fake And Bright

, , , | Right | March 5, 2011

Customer: “Excuse me, is your tiger fur made of real tiger?”

Me: “No. All of our furs are fake. It’s made of polyester.”

Customer: “Tigers are made of polyester?”


This story is part of the Customers-Who-Can’t-Hear-Themselves roundup!

Read the next Customers-Who-Can’t-Hear-Themselves story!

Read the Customers-Who-Can’t-Hear-Themselves roundup!

A Stone’s Throw Away From Good Behavior

, , , , | Right | March 4, 2011

(I am babysitting for a woman who refuses to leave the house. I am outside while her children are playing. She is watching us from the window.)

Me: “[Child], don’t throw rocks. They’re painful.”

(When the child continues to throw the rocks at me, I take the rocks from him and put him in a time-out.)

Mother: *rushing out of the house* “Don’t punish my children! Who do you think you are?”

Me: “Ma’am, my employer requires me to give the children a time-out if they are doing anything dangerous.”

Mother: “Wait, what? I thought you were just here to play with my kids!”

Me: “Well, yes, babysitters usually do some sort of activity with the children.”

Mother: “Why would I hire a babysitter if I’m here?! Why did you come here?”

Me: “Ma’am, you called the company and asked them to send a babysitter to your house.”

Mother: “Don’t punish my children!”

(She chased me out of her yard with a duster. A few weeks later, she called again for a babysitter. She was going to court because a neighbor’s child was hit in the head with a stone.)


This story is part of the Babysitting roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!


This story is part of our Terrible Parents roundup!

Read the next Terrible Parents story!

Read the Terrible Parents roundup!