Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for 2011

Jump to page:

Righteous Indie-nation

, , , , , , | Right | March 10, 2011

(A customer walks over to the first aisle and taps each and every last CD case with his finger while saying either ‘mainstream’ or ‘sell-out’. He proceeds to do this with every single CD in the store, which takes him about 25 minutes. He then walks up to the counter.)

Customer: “What a bunch of mainstreamers you guys are! Don’t you have anything more obscure?”

Me: “We do have a pretty large indie section, which you seemed to have skimmed over.”

Customer: “You call those indie? I’ve heard of every single one of them. They’re all sell-outs.”

Me: “So, what is it that you’re looking for?”

Customer: “How the h*** should I know? If I’ve already heard of it, I wouldn’t buy it.”


This story is part of our Flawed Customer Logic roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!


This story is part of the Entitled Customers roundup!

Read the next Entitled Customers roundup story!

Read the Entitled Customers roundup!

Born Yesterday

, , , , | Right | March 10, 2011

(Several teenage patrons are reading the ‘What does your birthday mean?’ keychains.)

Teenager #1: “Mine’s September 11th. Wasn’t that, like, a bad day in history or something?”

Me: “How old are you guys?”

All Teens: “Thirteen!”

(I do quick mental math. I realize they were only six when the twin towers fell.)

Me: “Yes. It was a very bad day. Members of an extremist group hijacked some planes and–”

(While reading a keychain from the day the Berlin Wall fell, the second teenager interrupts me.)

Teenager #2: “Hey! What does ‘co-MUNE-ism’ mean?”


This story is part of our Bad-With-History roundup!

Read the next Bad-With-History roundup story!

Read the Bad-With-History roundup!

Application Confrontation

, , , , , | Right | March 10, 2011

(I’m walking the floor. A customer walks through the front door and approaches me.)

Customer: *mutters* “Where do I go to fill out an application?”

(I have a walkie-talkie and headset on. When the customer asks her question, my manager begins to speak to me over the walkie.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I didn’t quite catch that.”

Customer: *raised voice* “Where. Can. I. Go. To. Get. An. App-li-ca-tion? Don’t they teach you how to listen here?”

Me: “Yes, they do. Someone was talking in my ear, so I didn’t hear you the first time. You can pick up an application over here.”

(I walk her to the application kiosk. About an hour goes by, and I get a call on the walkie that a customer wants to see me. It’s the same customer.)

Customer: “Oh, you again. I just finished my application. Is there a manager or human resources available to talk to? Should I repeat myself again?”

Me: “You’re talking to him.”


This story is part of the Customers Suffering The Consequences Of Their Own Actions roundup!

Read the next story!

Read the roundup!

The Price Is Always Right

, , , , , , | Right | March 10, 2011

(I put a customer’s purchase through. The computer automatically discounts the purchase from $35 to $29.)

Customer: “I’m sorry, you’ve made some mistake. The price isn’t correct on the screen.”

Me: “Yes, there’s actually a discount on some of your items.”

Customer: “No. I added the prices as I went around. I’m very good at maths, and you’ve processed the sale wrong.”

Me: “Sorry, I’m confused. You would rather pay the full price?”

Customer: “Give me your manager.”

(My manager has overheard most of this.)

Manager: “Can I help?”

Customer: “Your staff has processed my sale completely wrong. I demand that you correct this.”

Manager: “Of course.” *bumps the price up* “The price is $35, ma’am.”

Customer: *glowering in my direction* “Didn’t hurt, did it?”

Not Remotely Intelligent, Part 5

, , , , | Right | March 10, 2011

(A caller is saying that her cable isn’t working. I determine that her TV simply is not switched on.)

Me: “Okay. I just need you to press the power button on your remote, and your TV will work.”

Customer: “I can’t find the remote! Make it work!”

Me: “Don’t worry. Just press the power button on your TV for me.”

Customer: “I don’t have a power button on my TV!”

Me: “Okay. Can you do me a favor and read out the buttons you see on your TV?”

Customer: “The first one says ‘pooer’.”

Me: “I’m sorry, what?”

Customer: “Pooer.”

Me: “Can you spell that for me, please?”

Customer: “P-O-W-E-R.”

Me: “Great, that’s your power button.”

Customer: “No, it says ‘pooer’.”

Me: “Ma’am, I assure you that’s your power button. Please just press it.”

Customer: “Well, they must have misspelled it.”

Related:
Not Remotely Intelligent, Part 4
Not Remotely Intelligent, Part 3
Not Remotely Intelligent, Part 2
Not Remotely Intelligent