Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Good To Sell Until Hell Freezes Over

| Working | August 27, 2014

(I don’t like wasting food and have something of a cast-iron stomach, so even if I realize a product is a slightly past its ‘best by’ date I’ll still finish it off. However, while browsing the store I go to most frequently I come across something that I feel I need to bring up to customer service.)

Me: “Um, I thought you guys should know that these two which were in the freezer are way past-due, but it looks like everything else is okay.”

(Despite no one else being there, it takes the lady at the counter a good three seconds after I finish talking to look at me.)

Worker: “What’s wrong?”

Me: “These two boxes are way past their sell-by dates.

Worker: “Oh, those are just suggestions. They’re still good for a bit.”

Me: “They expired in FEBRUARY. It’s now AUGUST!”

Worker: “Yeah, but they’re frozen. They’re good for, like, forever. Don’t waste food.”

(Shocked at her callousness, I go to find a manager and explain the situation to him. Since these things are handled at the customer service desk anyway we go back. At this point the same employee is helping another person, and being exceedingly kind and receptive to her, until she finishes and notices I’ve returned with the manager.)

Worker: “Oh, come on! You’re actually giving him his money back?”

Me: “I never SAID I wanted money back. These were on your shelf!”

Worker: “No, you came up here demanding money back for something you had left in your freezer!”

Me: “The hell I did! I specifically even told you everything else on YOUR SHELVES were okay!”

Worker: “[Manager], come on. You’re not giving him a refund, are you?”

Manager: “No, because he wasn’t ASKING for one. And this is the third time I’ve caught you harassing male customers while bending over backwards for female ones. Expect to be having a meeting with your supervisor.”

(I didn’t actually WANT to get the girl in trouble, but her stammering for getting called out on her preferential treatments was too funny!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!