Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Customers Are Subject To Not Change Without Notice

, , , , | Right | December 14, 2017

(Our restaurant changes the prices in our menu yearly, and mails out a bunch of recent copies in early- to mid-January. It is now April. I have just taken an order over the phone and given the woman her total, when she insists I’ve done it wrong. I double-check, and my total is correct.)

Customer: “Are you sure? I added it up to [amount at least four dollars off].”

Me: “I don’t know what to tell you, ma’am; I’ve added it up twice and gotten [correct amount]. Are you sure you have this year’s menu? Prices have changed a little bit.”

Customer: “I ordered from this menu just the other week.”

(I start to ask the price of one of the items in her menu, to verify, but she just keeps talking.)

Customer: “Like, it shouldn’t be that much. The [item] is [price].” *this price is 30 cents less than the current price, indicating that her menu is at least three years old*

Me: “Okay, I think I’ve found the problem. That sounds like an old menu.”

Customer: “No, this is the one you mailed to me, and it’s telling me [item] should be [price].”

Me: “Okay, I don’t know how that happened, but the prices are different, and your total is [total].”

(I have spent more time correcting her on the price than actually taking the order, and the call finally ends. I tell my coworker why it took so long, and look up to see another customer at the counter.)

Customer #2: “And the menu even says, ‘Prices are subject to change without notice.’”

Me: “I really appreciate that you actually read that.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!