Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Customer Service Is Its Own Reward

| Right | April 9, 2013

(I have been talking to a father and son for roughly an hour about many different headsets, so that they can weigh all the pros and cons and decide on the best pair for them.)

Father: “Okay, we’ll take two of the [headsets].”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but we actually don’t have those in stock. We sold our last one today. I can check to see if somewhere nearby does if you’d like?”

Father: “Oh yes, absolutely!”

(I check in the system, and let him know the nearest store that has two of the headsets he wants.)

Father: “Thank you so much. Do I mention your name when I get there?”

Me: “No, sir, just ask for the headsets. They’ll pull them right out for you.”

Father: “But don’t you get credit somehow? You told me everything, and I’m not even buying from you.”

Me: “No, sir, we don’t. I really appreciate that you notice this, but I’m very happy to have directed you to a product you enjoy. It really makes my day just for you to want us to be credited with the sale.”

(The son pulls the father to the side and begins talking, then the two exit the store after waving and expressing their thanks. Around two hours later, I notice them come back in the store.)

Me: “Welcome back! Did something happen?”

Father: “Oh no. We got everything just fine. They had just what we wanted, but we felt so bad that you don’t get anything out of the deal, so we got this for you.”

(The son hands me a gift card.)

Me: “Wow, thank you! I can’t believe you did this. This is so nice!”

Son: “It’s not fair that you helped us, and we didn’t help you. I had extra allowance money.”

(I shake the father’s hand and give the son a big hug. I have the biggest smile on my face, and I praise them for being such wonderful people. It’s gestures like these that make me so happy to provide customer service where it’s needed.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!