Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Customer Complaint Escalating Into A Perfect Storm

| Right | April 9, 2017

(I work in catering for a popular local restaurant and schedule deliveries throughout the region, mostly for businesses. On this day we’re preparing for a massive winter storm to hit overnight. I’m calling customers to reschedule the next day’s deliveries. I call an office at a very prestigious university to ask when they’ll be rescheduling their meeting.)

Me: “…so we’re just calling to see if you already have another date for your order or if you just want it placed on file until you do.”

Customer: “So you’re telling me I can’t have my order tomorrow?”

Me: “If possible we’ll get out any orders that are still needed, but the way things are looking now it’s doubtful.”

Customer: “Well, why?”

Me: “I’m sure you’ve seen, they’re calling for record-breaking snowfall tonight. If the storm is anywhere near as bad as they’re predicting we won’t be open tomorrow and won’t be sending out any deliveries.”

Customer: “So, I’m not going to have any food for my meeting?”

Me: “Honestly, I doubt you’ll even have a meeting. Half the colleges in the area have already announced shut-downs, so [University] will probably close tomorrow, too.”

Customer: “This is a very important meeting; they won’t cancel it. I don’t see why you can’t get my order here.”

Me: “Sir, we do everything possible to accommodate our customers. But if there is over a foot of snow tonight I can’t ask a delivery driver to risk their safety to drive down there for the sake of your lunch. If there is no storm we will get you your sandwiches, but right now I don’t think that will be an option. I’m actually leaving work right after this call because the city is already shutting down the trains. So do you have a date you would like me to reschedule for, or should I just keep the order on file for now?”

Customer: “Just keep the order in for tomorrow!”

(I left work early to avoid being stranded. An hour later I got a text from my manager to let me know that the customer had called back because the university had cancelled all operations. He was, obviously, completely unapologetic. And his “very important” meeting was just a routine monthly budget update for his department.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!