Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Creaking Along Until You Get That Appointment

, , , | Right | October 7, 2022

I plan appointments for carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and the like.

Me: “[My Name], how can I help you?”

The customer gives me some necessary personal information.

Customer: “My letterbox doesn’t open smoothly. Can you make an appointment for that?”

Me: “Sure, let me see… I see it’s quite busy, but I can make an appointment for [five days away].”

Customer: “What?! That late? That is unacceptable! I need you to come tomorrow at the latest — no, today!”

Me: “Are you unable to open your letterbox as a whole?”

Customer: “No, it opens, but it creaks.”

Me: “Then, unfortunately, it’s not an emergency. Should I reserve [date] for you?”

The customer goes off on a whole rant, repeating that this is unacceptable, and hangs up. I shrug it off and help the next caller.

The next day, I get this customer on the line again. She unleashes a whole rant.

Customer: “…and your coworker promised me there would come someone today, and they are not here! How will you solve that?”

Me: “Actually, ma’am, I talked to you yesterday and I made no such promise. In fact, you told me [date] was unacceptable and eventually hung up.”

Customer: “I… eh… Oh… Well, I was really upset. Can I still get that appointment on [date]?”

Me: “Unfortunately, that spot is now taken by someone else. The next available appointment is for [seven days after the date I tried to give her].”

Customer: “What?! How is that possible?! You offered it to me!”

Me: “You told me it was unacceptable.”

Customer: “Yes, it is, but I was just upset! You should have made that appointment! You knew I wanted that.”

Me: “How was I supposed to know that, ma’am? You yourself said it was unacceptable and hung up. Those were your words. If you wanted an appointment, you should have made that more clear.”

She eventually took that later date. I cannot say I regret this turn of events.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!