Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Coworkers Uber Alles

, , , , , | Right | June 8, 2009

(A young teenage girl comes up to my till and places several bottles of alcopops on it.)

Me: “I’m sorry, miss, but as you don’t look over 21 I am afraid I am going to have to ask to see some ID for these.”

Girl: “What? I’m old enough. Obviously. Like, I never get asked for ID.”

Me: “Well, I’m afraid I still need ID.”

Girl: “Why are you being rude? I told you I am old enough.”

(This continues for a few minutes until I get fed up.)

Me: “Look, you obviously don’t have any ID so I am not going to serve you. If you want to complain you can go to customer services.”

Girl: “Fine!”

(Ten minutes later, my supervisor comes over.)

Supervisor: “I just heard you got a complaint. I must say that I am very disappointed.”

Me: “I’m sorry. I just lost it, I guess.”

Supervisor: *laughs* “Oh, no. That’s fine. Just that we all had a bet on how long you would last. If only you would have lasted a little longer.”

(A little while after this, the girl returns. She’s led by a much older man who I guess is her father. He places on my till the exact same items his daughter had.)

Man: “Right. I want these and before you ask, here is my ID.”

(He pulls out his driver’s license and waves it in my face, smirking to his daughter. He obviously thinks he is being really clever.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but I can’t sell you these.”

Man: “Why the h*** not?! I’m plenty old enough!”

Me: “Yes, sir. But it is also quite obvious that you are buying them for this girl, which means I can’t sell them to you.”

Man: “I want to speak with your supervisor.”

(I call my supervisor over and explain the situation. The man jumps in before she can respond.)

Man: *to Supervisor* “So, what you gonna do? You gonna sell me these d*** drinks and fire that little s***?!”

Supervisor: *calmly* “I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I will give you thirty seconds to get out or I will call the police. Buying alcohol for a minor is a criminal offense.”

(He left in a hurry, muttering furiously to his daughter. Sometimes, with the worst customers, you find the best coworkers.)


Did you find this story using our Grocery Store Workers roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!