Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Counter To The Law

| Working | April 17, 2013

Me: “Hey, I’m gonna take my break now and go get some lunch. I’ll be back in 30. You want anything?”

Boss: “Um, you can’t just leave for half an hour! I’m not paying you to go hang out!”

(Sometimes my boss is really cool, but other times he can be a real jacka**.)

Me: “It’s not me. It’s the law.”

Boss: “No, you come back here and eat behind the counter!”

Me: “I’m okay with that, but why does it matter?”

Boss: “You have to be here in case we get a customer!”

Me: “I’m on my break. I’m not going to help any customers.”

Boss: “I do not understand this attitude! You are my employee and will do as I say! Unless you are tired of this job; in that case, you can just leave.”

(Note: my boss is not from America.)

Me: “Sir, I am in no way trying to be disrespectful. These are the labor laws in America.”

(His wife, who is American, comes back bathroom and has heard enough of the conversation to understand the issue.)

Boss’ Wife: *whispers into boss’s ear*

Boss: “Uh… okay. Go take your break… but do it behind the counter! ”

Me: *facepalm*


This story is included in our Lunch Break story roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the story roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!