Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Corporate And Coupons And Calls, Oh My!

, , , , , , | Right | July 15, 2022

I work at a pet store with a grooming salon. A woman comes up to the register with her freshly groomed dog under her arm.

Me: “Hi there, how—”

She rattles off her phone number.

Customer: “…and I have a coupon.”

She hands me her grooming paperwork showing an $80 bill and a photocopy of the front of a coupon from a booklet you can buy. It is for a free bath, not a full groom which includes nails, ears, and a haircut, and, again, it’s only a photocopy of the front of the coupon.

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t—”

Customer: “Your manager approved using this already.”

Me: “I didn’t—”

Customer: “Listen, sweetheart. I’m good at getting people fired. Just put the coupon through, or I’ll stand here and call corporate.”

Me: “This coupon is invalid. I’m sorry.”

Customer: *Heavy sigh* “Okay. I didn’t want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice.”

She pulls her phone out, dials a number, and starts talking almost immediately.

Customer: “Yes, I’m at your [Town] location, and… *reads my name tag* “…[My Name] won’t honor your coupon for a free bath.” *Barely a pause* “Yes, I spoke to the manager, [Generic Man’s Name], and he approved it.”

Me: “Ma’am—”

Customer: *Holding up a finger in my face* “Yes, I told [My Name] to do it, but she is refusing. I expect more from [Pet Store], to be quite honest.”

Me: “Ma’am—”

Customer: “I am talking to your corporate.”

Me: “Okay.”

I lean against the register and wait.

Customer: “Yes, you agree she should put it through, or she’s fired? Thank you.”

She puts her phone away, smiling.

Customer: “Well, go ahead.”

Me: “Ma’am, not only is this a photocopy of a coupon — which is invalid — but it’s a photocopy of an expired coupon.”

Customer: “Well, corporate said—”

Me: “And our corporate office closed two hours ago.”

Customer: “But your manager said—”

Me: “Who?”

Customer: “[Generic Man’s Name].”

Me: “I am the store manager. I did not approve this coupon. You did not speak to corporate. Now, you can pay, or I can call the police.”

She slams down a $100 bill. I make a whole show of checking the authenticity before returning the change. 

Customer: “I will never be back.”

Me: “Okay. Have a nice life.”

She has been back several times since but has not tried to pull that scam again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!