Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Conspire Against Attire

| Learning | October 17, 2016

(I have graduated with an honours degree and I am picking up my robes on the day of the graduation. My friend, who is also an honours graduate, is in line just before me. I approach the counter and provide my student ID.)

Lady At Desk: “Okay… Bachelor’s degree in [subject]?”

Me: “No, honours degree.”

Lady At Desk: *types something* “Okay, proceed to the robe fitting.”

(I move to the next station. As I’m getting fitted with my robes, I notice my friend getting fitted with his hood and leaving. After he has left, I approach the man fitting the hoods and he goes to put a bachelor’s hood on me.)

Me: “No, I need the hood for honours.”

Man: “They’re the same.”

Me: “No, they’re not; please give me the honours hood!”

Man: “They’re the same!”

(This goes back and forth for a bit before I leave, feeling upset and defeated. My parents meet me outside, see that I have the wrong hood and insist I go back and complain. Upon returning…)

Me: “Hi, I’ve been given the wrong hood; can you please give me the honours hood instead of bachelor’s?”

Lady At Desk: “Our systems tell us you need the bachelor’s hood.”

Me: “But I’m an honours student – not bachelor’s!”

Lady At Desk: “I’m sorry, I can’t help you.”

Me: “Can I speak to someone else?”

(I ended up speaking to another staff member, who was very helpful and called the graduate centre to confirm I needed the honours hood. I ended up graduating in the correct attire. Upon speaking to some of the other honours graduates, there was another who experienced the same problem!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!