Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Completely Time-Zoned Out

, , , , , , , | Working | May 10, 2018

(I work in an IT department that hires “co-op students,” or students studying IT at a local university. These folks are hired for four-month periods, and because they are new and young, they are subjected to some harmless hazing.)

Coworker: “Hey, [Co-Op Student], did you know that it’s your job to get us all coffee each morning?”

Co-Op Student: “Really?”

Me: “Oh, yeah. All the co-ops we’ve had do that for us.”

Co-Op Student: “Huh. Do you give me the money for the coffee, or…?”

Coworker: “Of course not! You have to pay for everything.”

Co-Op Student: *starting to look worried*  

Me: “I can’t stand it; we’re just teasing, dude. You don’t really have to get us coffee.”

Co-Op Student: *relieved* “You guys are terrible!”

(A few weeks later, daylight saving is upon us.)

Coworker: “Hey, [Co-Op Student], don’t forget that daylight saving happens this weekend.”

Co-Op Student: “Huh?”

Coworker: “You know; ‘Spring forward, fall back’?”

Co-Op Student: *blank stare*

Coworker: “It’s the ‘spring forward’ thing this time, so that means that you need to move your clocks forward one hour.”

Co-Op Student: “Haha! You almost got me! Nice try, [Coworker].”

Me: “Uh, he’s not joking this time.”

Co-Op Student: “Yeah, right. ‘Move clocks forward one hour.’ As if!”

(It turned out that the student was from a province that didn’t use daylight saving. Guess who was late for work on Monday?)


This story is part of our Daylight Saving Time roundup!

Read the next story in this roundup!

Read the Daylight Saving Time roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!