Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Companies Will Pay For Not Paying Attention

| Working | February 28, 2013

(I am 26 but look younger so I often get asked for I.D. when buying alcohol. I place a packet of ravioli, a jar of sauce and a bottle of Shiraz on the counter.)

Cashier: “Can I see your I.D. please?”

Me: “Ah, I think I’ve forgotten it today. I’ll just pay for the pasta and sauce then. Do you want me to put the wine back on the shelf?”

Cashier: “I’m afraid you look under 21 and without your I.D., I can’t sell you any alcohol.”

Me: “Oh, I know; that’s okay. Just the pasta and sauce, then.”

Cashier: “I’m afraid I am going to have to refuse to sell you the alcohol. It would be a felony and I would be fired or worse.”

Me: “I understand that completely; of course I don’t want you to get in trouble. Honestly, it’s fine. I don’t need to buy the wine now, so I’ll just pay for the pasta and sauce.”

Cashier: “How old are you?”

Me: “I’m 26, but I have nothing on me that proves it and as I said, I’m not trying to get you in trouble.”

Cashier: *rolls her eyes* “If you wish, I can call my manager.”

Me: “Well, if you think it’s best, but it’s really not a big deal. I don’t need to buy the wine.”

Cashier: *calls a manager*

Manager: “What seems to be the situation?”

Cashier: “This lady is trying to buy alcohol but has no ID. She insisted on speaking to you.”

Me: “Hang on—”

Manager: “Miss, I’m afraid it’s store policy to refuse sale of alcohol to anyone who looks under 21 and has no I.D.”

Me: “I understand that completely! It’s no problem; I’ll just leave the wine and pay for the pasta and sauce!”

Manager: “I’m going to have to ask you to not get belligerent. You have no I.D. and you appear under 21 and to sell you alcohol would be a felony.”

(As he says this, I can see him catch the eye of a security guard.)

Me: “Oh, for God’s sake! Just listen: I am putting the wine aside; all I want to do is buy the ravioli and the sauce! Can I please just pay for them and be on my way? And never come back, might I add!”

Manager: “I apologise for the inconvenience but, as I have stated, it is a felony.”

Me: “Forget it. I’ll get a take-away!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!