Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Common Sense Has Expired

, , , , | Right | March 23, 2019

(I work at a popular pharmacy/health store chain. The company policy used to be that we would take any store coupon even years after their expiration date, but at the end of last August the entire company changed the policy so that coupons did, in fact, expire at the written date and we were not allowed to override them for any reason, even one day later. Almost an entire year later, this sort of interaction still happens at least once every time I work. A customer hands me a coupon that expired several months ago.)

Me: “I’m sorry, this coupon actually expired back in [Month] and I won’t be able to apply it to this purchase. Would you like me to throw it out for you?”

Customer: “What? Your coupons never expire!”

Me: “There actually was a company-wide policy change, way over our heads, at the end of last August. We used to take expired coupons, but we’re not allowed to anymore. I’m sorry.”

Customer: “That’s ridiculous. You can never keep track of these. I’ve been meaning to use them for weeks, and now you’re telling me you can’t?”

Me: “Again, I’m really sorry. I know it can get confusing because we used to be able to take them, but it’s been almost a year now and I really can’t do anything about it.”

Customer: “You know that’s illegal?!”

Me: “I’m sorry, I just have to follow the company policies.”

Customer: “Fine, whatever. You’re not in charge. Sure, throw it out, and these, too.” *hands me a handful of other coupons, most of which have not yet expired*

Me: “You still have [time] to use these other ones!”

Customer: “I’ll just lose them or there’ll be some other problem. What’s the point!?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!