Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Comes With Extra Hydration And Entitlement!

, , , , | Right | July 29, 2019

(I work at a cosmetics counter at a department store. Although we are employed by individual counters, we help each other out for breaks, etc. This happens when I go to help out at the counter next to mine — a luxury line I recently declined a position at because the customers often have entitlement issues.)

Me: “Hi. Do you need some help in [Luxury Line]?”

Customer: *clearly in her 60s, but looks good for her age* “I’m looking for a moisturizer with hydration.”

(I can’t fully comprehend her request, as it is physically impossible for a moisturizer not to be hydrating, so I proceed as normal.)

Me: “Okay, well, we have a couple of different options. Are you looking for something with anti-aging skincare, or basic hydration?”

Customer: “I want something with hydration.”

Me: “Okay, but do you want anti-aging, as well?”

Customer: *starting to sound huffy and annoyed at this point* “Anti-aging? What does that mean?”

Me: “It means it has ingredients which help with lines and loss of firmness.”

Customer: “What? Isn’t that what hydration does?”

Me: “Well, the ones that help with lines…”

Customer: *shouting angrily* “Are you saying I need something for lines and wrinkles?!”

Me: *fed up, responds in the sternest tone I’ve ever used with a customer* “No. I am asking if you want a moisturizer with anti-aging ingredients.”

Customer: *huffy* “Well, do you have any samples?”

Me: *sweetly* “No, I’m sorry. We don’t have any right now.”

(She stomped off, validating my choice not to move to that line.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!