Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Combing Over The Purchases

, , , , , | Right | July 21, 2022

I’m in charge of checking customer receipts as they leave our store one late evening when business is rather slow due to weather. I notice one young man check out a handful of things at the self-checkout and bag them, but afterward, rather than leaving through the doors, he turns around and goes back into one of our aisles. He is gone for a short time and then shows back up and starts to leave the store.

This is unusual enough to draw my attention; it is possible he slipped something he didn’t purchase into his bag. I’m not too worried, but it is suspicious enough to at least make sure I stop him and check that he purchased everything in this bag. Everything is in order other than one odd detail.

Me: “Oh, it looks like you purchased a comb, but I don’t see it. You didn’t leave it by mistake, did you?”

Customer: “No, it’s okay, I put it back.”

Me: “You didn’t want it? If so, we could have someone remove it from your bill so you aren’t charged for it.”

Customer: “Actually, I wanted to be charged. The last time I was here, I meant to buy a comb, but without thinking, I slipped it into my pocket and walked out with it without paying by accident. So I’m paying for it now, instead. Sorry if it messes with your inventory or anything.”

Me: “Oh, that’s perfectly all right. I’m just impressed you were good enough to come back and pay for it later.”

Customer: “Oh, that’s fine. I’ve been known to steal ideas, bad jokes, and occasionally a young girl’s heart, but I make it a policy not to steal combs.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!