Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Closing Time Crime

, , , | Right | February 7, 2020

(I work at a craft store as a cashier. We have closed and are trying to get the last few customers out of the store. It is a little past 9:00 pm. I have one more customer left to check out.)

Me: “Ma’am, are you returning these items today?”

Customer: “Yes.”

(I process her return.)

Me: “Okay! Thank you very much! Have a good night!”

Customer: “Oh, I’m not done. I need to buy something.”

Me: “Ma’am, we’re closed. We closed [minutes] ago at 9:00.”

Customer: *looks at me disapprovingly* “Oh, no. I still need to get some stuff!”

(The customer walks away, forcing me to keep my register open even longer. The customer returns with a few items.)

Me: “Okay, ma’am. Your total comes to [dollar amount].”

Customer: “Oh, no. That’s not right at all. These were all on sale.”

Me: *sighs* “Would you like me to have someone do a price check for you?”

Customer: “Yes.”

(At this point, it is about 9:20 pm. I call for someone to help the customer. He takes her to the place she said that she found the product. He informs her that she is incorrect about the pricing. My coworker has to get the manager because the customer is giving him a hard time. Eventually, the customer comes back up to the register, clearly unhappy.)

Customer: “Well, I don’t want any of these items, then. I just want this one.”

Me: “Okay.”

(I void the other items in her transaction. When I finish her transaction, it is about 9:30 pm, thirty minutes after we were supposed to close.)

Me: “Thank you. Have a nice night!”

Customer: “Thanks for your patience!”

Me: *silence*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!