Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Closing Etiquette Is Not That Complicated

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: ANONYMOUS BY REQUEST | February 28, 2022

I work in a restaurant. It’s 9:45. We close at 10:00 pm. This table of three walks in and they’re sat in my section. I greet them and things start as usual. I’m upset that they came in so late, but whatever. One customer ends up wanting a Tour of Italy, which comes with fettucine alfredo, lasagna, and chicken parmigiana.

Me: “We’ve been out of lasagna since 8:00. Do you want to substitute it for something?”

She mumbles that she should get it for free since we are out, but she subs it for something.

The woman also buys the soup/salad bundle, and she wants to try all four of our soups. We are completely out of the last soup she tries. I tell her and she gets very upset.

By the time they reach the end of the meal, it’s forty minutes past closing.

Woman: “Can I get some extra alfredo sauce to take home?”

Me: “We don’t have any more alfredo.”

She freaks out.

Woman: “I want to talk to your manager!”

I get him, laughing with him about her behavior, and he goes to talk to her. She keeps flipping out.

Woman: “You shouldn’t be open this late if you can’t offer full service!”

Excuse me? We AREN’T OPEN. We closed FORTY minutes ago.

Woman: “My meal should be free because you’re out of everything! You handed me a full menu, but you don’t have it all!”

My manager doesn’t give her a single free thing from her ticket because he realizes how entitled she is sounding. When I walk over at the end to hand her change back, I hear her mumbling.

Woman: “This is such s***ty service. I guess we shouldn’t come here again before closing.”

Good. Please don’t ever come back.

Did I mention that this inconsiderate person didn’t tip? Yeah. They made me stay an hour past close for nothing.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!