Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Close Up Before You Melt Down

, , , , , | Working | August 19, 2012

(My boyfriend and I work at a fast food restaurant. If it’s been a busy night, we usually bring home dinner from a different fast food restaurant after we close. One really hot summer night, I run over to grab dinner while my boyfriend finishes closing the store. However, the competition is just as busy as we are. I walk in, and this happens.)

Manager: “COULD YOU ALL HURRY UP! YOU REALIZE IT’S 15 TO CLOSE, RIGHT? I HAVE TO SERVE YOU IN 90 SECONDS OR LESS, SO MAKE UP YOUR MIND! GET OUT OF THE WAY AND LET SOMEONE ELSE ORDER, OR GET THE H*** OUT!”

(A group of teenage customers standing by the counter all look at each other, and then see me. They kindly let me go since they can see I have a list and know what I want.)

Manager: “Hi, what do you want?”

Me: “Hi, I’m so sorry. I have a bit of a list.”

Manager: *sighs* “Well, hurry up, then.”

Me: “Um… can I just have three double cheeseburgers, one plain cheeseburger, and a large and medium fry?”

Manager: “Anything else you want to add to that HUGE list?”

Me: “No.”

(The manager swipes my card, and then looks over to some other customers who have been waiting for their order.)

Manager: “LOOK, YOU’RE GONNA HAVE TO WAIT! WE’RE BUSY!”

Customer: “It’s been like 15 minutes… for two scones.”

Manager: “Yeah, and WE. ARE. BUSY!”

(At this point, the teenage boys finally decide what they want, so she gets through them with more whining and yelling. Since I can relate, I try to talk to her to calm her down.)

Me: “We were this busy to right until close. Once you close though it gets better.”

Manager: “Yeah, good for you. I JUST HOPE EVERYONE REALIZES WE CLOSE IN 5 MINUTES, AND AT THAT POINT I’M THROWING EVERYONE OUT OF MY STORE! YOU HEAR ME!?” *takes a deep breath and smiles* “I’m sorry, sweetie. I’m just stressed.”

Me: “Er… it’s okay. It happens.”

Manager: “I just get stressed and lose my head.”

(With that, the manager laughs and then hands me my food. She then hands the scones to the two customers who have been waiting longer than me.)

Manager: *to the other customers* “I’m so sorry about the wait. It’s been very busy. You have a lovely night!” *smiles really big*

(However, as I’m walking out the door, she runs out back and turns off the lights.)

Manager: “EVERYONE OUT! NOW! CLOSING TIME! BYE BYE!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!