Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Clearance Price Doesn’t Clear Away Problem Customers

, , , | Right | November 3, 2018

(I work at a home furnishings store. Typically, we encourage customers who want to purchase furniture or other large items to order them in-store from the distribution center. However, we will occasionally have floor model pieces for a special clearance price for reasons of discontinuing the style or needing to make space on the floor. The catch is that floor models purchased for that price can’t be returned.)

Supervisor: “I’m going to let you know now that this piece can’t be returned for any reason. It’s the only one we have in the store, and we won’t be getting more. Is that okay?”

Customer: “Yes, that’s fine.”

Supervisor: “All right, if you’ll just drive around back, I’ll help you get loaded up!”

(Two days later, I see this same customer coming in with only the bench seat.)

Customer: “I want to return this. The leather was damaged when you all loaded it into my car!”

Me: “Uh…”

Supervisor: “Ma’am, I told you when you bought the bench that you couldn’t return it.”

Customer: “It was damaged! I won’t take a damaged piece!”

Supervisor: “I’m sorry, but I can’t return it; the company won’t allow it.”

Customer: “I don’t care! It’s damaged. It wasn’t my fault. I won’t take this damaged piece. Can’t you just swap out the seat?”

Supervisor: “I also told you we weren’t getting any more of that style in. I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do.”

Customer: “I want to see your manager!”

Supervisor: “Unfortunately, she isn’t here.”

Customer: “Then give me her number and I’ll call her!”

Supervisor: “I’m not giving out her personal phone number. I’m sorry about the bench.”

(The customer left in a huff, leaving the bench seat propped up against the counter, and got in her car to drive off… but not before she stormed back in, dumped the hardware into my hands, and then left.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!