Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Clashing With Carrots? How Could You?!

, , | Right | June 19, 2020

It’s my first day working in a popular kitchenware shop, and I’m given the food prep section to manage, partly to learn the products but also because it’s one of the smaller sections, so an easy start for day one. Or so I thought…

A lady comes up the stairs to my section.

Customer: “Miss? Miss! I require assistance!”

I am slightly alarmed, thinking she’s hurt herself or something. Nope. She just wants help shopping. Okay, cool! Phew!

Me: “Absolutely, madam, how may I help?”

Customer: “I wish to purchase some of your marvellous microwaveable bowls. They’re perfect for my dinner party!”

Me: “Okay, great! They’re just over here.”

I take her to the only microwaveable bowls we sell, which happen to be red-coloured. The customer wrinkles her nose.

Customer: “Oh. Oh, what are those? No, I don’t want those. They’re so ugly! You sell clear ones. I know; I’m a regular shopper here.”

Me: “I’m very sorry, madam, but these are the only ones we sell. I am new here, however, so we may well have sold different ones in the past, as you say. But these are very good and will do the job just as well, I’m sure.”

Customer: “Oh, no, no, no. That’s just no good!”

She holds one and looks it over before putting it back.

Customer: “No, absolutely not. I can’t serve vegetables in something in such a horrible, garish red colour. It will clash with my carrots!”

Words failed me when I realised she wasn’t actually joking or trying to be funny in any way. I know everyone has their eccentricities, but refusing to buy something purely functional on its colour alone just struck me as odd. I mean, plastic, microwaveable dishes don’t really equate to Royal Doulton, y’know?

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!