Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Christmas: The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving

, , , , , , | Working | December 21, 2019

(I am working as a temp for a large company. A few weeks before Christmas, my boss announces that they will be taking pictures for the company Christmas card. Our usual dress code is casual and he wants “everyone” to dress up. I think it is nice that I am being included. On picture day, I dress up, do my hair and makeup, the whole nine.)

Boss: “The photographer is here. Everybody needs to head downstairs. [My Name]?”

Me: “Yes?”

Boss: “Keep an eye on the phones. We won’t be gone long.”

(A few weeks later is the Christmas potluck. I am allowed to participate in the gift exchange and to bring something to eat. But this is also the day that management passes out the Christmas bonuses. To their credit, they try doing it on the down-low. But I quickly realize what is going on and that I won’t be receiving a bonus. Unfortunately, they don’t tell my coworkers. The bonus is a gift card to a major department store for $300. Two of my coworkers are standing by my desk discussing what they will get when they turn to me.)

Coworker #1: “What are you getting?”

Me: “I didn’t get a bonus.”

Coworker #2: “That’s because you’re not a real employee!”

(Fortunately, my phone rang so I didn’t have to come up with a response.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!