Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Christmas Is Engrave Danger

| Right | December 24, 2014

(It’s December 23rd, and due to the amount of engraving orders that were placed during the day, a seasonal and I are working well into the night. Before we know it, it’s 7 am and the rest of the mall employees are coming in to open their stores. In fact, there are already customers waiting outside our store to pick up their items. I point this out to the seasonal with me.)

Seasonal: “Watch as the first customers we get are for items we haven’t gotten to.”

Me: “Don’t jinx it.”

(At this point, I’ve opened the gate and the lady who has been waiting outside for about fifteen minutes comes in to pick up her order.)

Me: “Okay, ma’am, when did you place the order and what was the item?”

Customer #1: “Oh, it was just a card holder.”

(The seasonal and I look at each other.)

Me: “Like on a plate?”

Customer #1: “Yes.”

Me: “I’m extremely sorry, ma’am, but we haven’t gotten to your order yet but we can pop it in the machines and have it done as fast as we can.”

Customer #1: “Oh, that’s fine. How many people are here as soon as you open?”

Me: “Ha ha…”

(I grab her work order and item and place it on the machines so the seasonal can do it. Seeing as the assistant manager isn’t there yet, I have to act as the manager on duty.)

Seasonal: “Actually, we haven’t even gone home. We’ve been here all night.”

Customer #1: “That’s insane!”

Me: “We can’t leave until everything is engraved and unfortunately—” *I point at the large pile of plated items* “—we haven’t even touched the plated items. But no worries, we’ll get your item done pronto.”

(At this point, another lady comes in, and I greet her.)

Me: “Hello, ma’am, how can we help you today?”

Customer #2: “I’m here to pick up my item.”

Me: “Well what was the item?”

Customer #2: “It was four small clocks and a big clock.”

(The seasonal and I share another look.)

Me: “I’m very sorry, ma’am, but unfortunately we haven’t had a chance to get to the plated items yet but we can do it for you right now.”

Customer #2: “WHAT?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT’S NOT READY?! I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE READY AT 7 AM AND I HAVE IMPORTANT STUFF I NEED TO DO THIS MORNING. HOW CAN IT NOT BE READY?!”

Me: “…well, as you can see, we have a big pile of items we have yet to touch, and if you don’t mind waiting a few minutes we can quickly put the plates in the machines and engrave them. No problem.”

Customer #2: “I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S NOT READY ON THE TIME! I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE READY! 7 AM! IT’S 7 AM AND IT’S NOT COMPLETED.”

(I take a breath, look over at the seasonal who is staring at me with wide eyes. Luckily, no one else has entered the store during this.)

Me: “Okay, ma’am, no worries. We’ll knock this out for you right now.”

(I get the items on the counter, give the bigger clock to the seasonal to do while I get started on the four smaller clocks. As I’m setting up the first plate, the first customer comes over to me.)

Customer #1: “I’ll just be back in a few minutes. Take your time with my order.”

(I nod and she leaves. I get the machine all ready to go, and the second customer is still screaming her head off. I hear the bell at the entrance go off, look over, and my manager is walking in. I greet him, and as soon as I do, the second customer turns her screams on him.)

Customer #2: “YOU SAID MY ITEM WOULD BE READY AT 7 AM AND HERE I AM AND MY ITEM ISN’T READY THIS IS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL WHY ISN’T MY ITEM READY YET?!”

Manager: “Well, ma’am, I do apologize but these ladies have been here all night and they’re trying to engrave as fast as they can.”

Customer #2: “IF MY ITEM WASN’T GOING TO BE READY ON TIME I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A CALL AND THEN I WOULDN’T HAVE WASTED MY TIME COMING HERE.”

Manager: “… You wanted them to call you at 3 am?”

Customer #2: “WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?! I WANT A REFUND.”

(At this point, I’m literally holding back sobs cause I don’t want the customer to know she’s made me cry. The manager turns to me to ask how much of the order I’ve already done and I tell him I already finished one plate and the seasonal is already engraving the other plate. He turns back to the customer.)

Manager: “Okay, since we already started your order, how about you give us ten minutes? Ten minutes and your items will be completed.”

Customer #2: “…fine. BUT THEY BETTER BE READY.!”

Manager: “Yes, they will be.”

(The customer walks out of the store and we all take a big breath and I finally let my sobs out. At that moment, our assistant manager comes in, looking really confused.)

Assistant Manager: “Hey, guys?” *pointing at me* “Why is she crying? Why is there a customer outside screaming?”

(The manager begins to explain what happened and I finish up the order with the clocks. We get all the plates put on and the seasonal throws her hands up.)

Seasonal: “Okay, I’m going home.”

(She takes off and it’s just the three of us, I’m still sobbing and the manager gives me a pat.)

Manager: “Go home and get some sleep.”

Me: “I can’t. I have other things to engrave I can’t leave until they’re done.”

Manager: “We can handle it.”

Me: “I’ll stay until 8 am.”

Manager: “Fair enough.”

(Finally, after about 15 minutes, my manager calls the lady back in because her items are ready.)

Customer #2: “Huh. Okay, they’re fine. Thank you for doing them so quickly.”

Manager: “You’re welcome, ma’am. Have a good rest of your day.”

(The customer leaves, griping under her breath about a snowball effect, and as soon as she’s out of the store she’s yelling and screaming again. Customer #1 walks in again.)

Manager: “Hello, ma’am. How are we doing today?”

Me: “Oh, oh, I’m so sorry, ma’am. We haven’t— I’ll do that right now.”

Customer #1: “Don’t worry about it!” *she waves her hand* “I’m just so sorry you had to deal with that one lady. What is her problem?”

Manager: “Happy holidays?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!