Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Christmas Is Closing In

| Right | December 17, 2015

(I have just served a family with kids who, as they leave the shop, notice our selection of Christmas products. One of the kids picks up a bell and starts ringing it. This story takes place at around 7:00 pm.)

Kid: “Listen, everyone! The store is now closing!”

(He then puts the bell back and rushes off out of the shop with his family. The assistant manager and myself look at each other in exasperation at ‘yet another kid playing with the bells,’ and share a quick chuckle about if anyone took it seriously. Lo and behold, the next person to approach the counter…)

Customer: “What time does [Shopping Centre] close tonight?”

Assistant Manager: “Ten o’clock.”

Customer: “So why are you closing early?”

(The assistant manager and I glance at each other again, trying not to laugh, and the customer quickly realises the truth.)

Customer: “Oh! It wasn’t one of you who said it?”

Assistant Manager: “No, it wasn’t.”

Me: “It was just some kid messing around.”

(She sounded quite relieved after finding out the truth, but we did note that for a few minutes after the kid’s ‘announcement’ the shop was noticeably emptier. We don’t think she was the only one who took him seriously.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!