Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Chicken Noodle Soup For The Soul

, , , , | Hopeless | January 31, 2018

((A customer who I recognize from my shift yesterday walks in and comes to my register. I should note that she is Indian, and her family is vegetarian for religious reasons.)

Me: “Hello, ma’am. What can I get you?”

Customer: “Well, I came in yesterday to get soup, and I got chicken noodle with my order. My family is vegetarian.”

Me: “I am so sorry about that, ma’am. I’ll go get the manager and we can do a refund—”

Customer: “No, no, we got all the soup that we wanted; there was just chicken noodle in the bag. I wanted to pay for it.”

Me: “Wait… You want to pay for soup that you didn’t want?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Did you eat it?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Ma’am, it’s fine. You got all the soup you wanted, and we don’t make customers pay for our own mistakes. Besides, you said your family was vegetarian.”

Customer: “But I would feel bad.”

Me: “I refuse to charge you for this soup, ma’am.”

(After that we awkwardly bid farewell to each other. The woman is now a regular, and I tell that story to every new employee. She is one of my favorite customers.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!