Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Charitable Mis-Trust

, , , , , | Right | December 16, 2009

Me: “Hello, this is [My Name] calling on behalf of the [Charitable Organization]. Am I speaking with Mrs. [Customer]?”

Customer: “Yes, what’s this about?”

Me: “Well, I’m calling because you pledged a $100 donation to the [Charitable Organization] but, unfortunately, the donation was never received. Would you like me to send you a return envelope?”

Customer: “I never pledged $100. Are you sure you have the right name?”

Me: “Well, maybe the donation was made by your husband. It will take me a few moments to get to that screen on my computer and then we can get this all straightened out.”

Customer: “No, my husband would’ve told me if he’d pledged money. I really think you have the wrong number.”

Me: “According to our records the pledge was made under the name ‘Ryan’. Is that your husband?”

Customer: “No. That’s my nine-year-old son.”

Me: “Oh… I’m so sorry, ma’am, that pledge should not have gone through the system. I can cancel it for you if you’d like. I really do apologize.”

Customer: “No! Don’t cancel it. If he promised you $100, then by God, he’s going to have to find a way to pay you that $100!”

Me: “Ma’am, really, that’s not necessary. Our reps should have verified his age before accepting a donation from him. Really, it’s no trouble at all for me to cancel it for you.”

Customer: “Well, I’m not very happy with my son right now, and I know a nine-year-old boy who’s really not going to be happy when he gets home from school. At least someone should get something out of this! Thank you for bringing this to my attention…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!