Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Charge Me Once, Shame On You

, , , , | Right | June 22, 2010

Me: “Okay, that’ll be $85.49, ma’am.”

Customer: “I’ll be paying by cash, please.”

(I press cash and wait for her. Instead, the customer picks up the stylus attached to my card signature pad and taps it against the screen.)

Me: “Ma’am?”

Customer: “Just a moment. I’m waiting for the relevant screen to come up so I can sign my name.”

(The customer proceeds to viciously stab the stylus into the screen, then smacks the side of it with her hand.)

Me: “Umm, a signature isn’t required if you’re paying cash.”

Customer: “What? Oh, well, then.”

(She fishes out her wallet and hands me $100. I finish the transaction and am counting out her change when she picks up the stylus and begins stabbing the signature pad again.)

Customer: “Now it’s just gone back to displaying the store logo. Where’s the option for me to authorize the amount?”

Me: “A customer authorization is only required if you’re paying by debit, ma’am. You’ve already paid with cash so the transaction is finished.”

(As I hand over her change, she looks down at the signature pad again.)

Customer: “Well, can I still sign just to be sure you don’t charge me twice for this?”


This story is part of our Weird Checkout Encounters roundup!

Read the next Weird Checkout Encounters roundup story!

Read the Weird Checkout Encounters roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!