Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Challenging Customers Throw You A Battery Of Tests

| Right | April 30, 2013

(I have just gotten off of work, and am enjoying my meal as I wait for my ride home to finish their shift. I get a call in the break room from the customer service clerk; he seems a bit flustered.)

Customer Service Clerk: “Are you okay to clock back in for an emergency sale to a hostile customer?”

Me: “I’ll be right up.”

(I put my uniform back on, and clock in. I go to the main desk.)

Customer: “About f****** time someone helped me properly!”

Me: “I’m sorry for any confusion or undue hassle, sir. What can I help you with?”

Customer: “My f****** truck won’t start, and I think it’s the battery. The lights don’t even come on, and I sure as h*** don’t want to be stranded in this f****** place’s parking lot! Get me a new battery!”

(I lead him back towards my department to get the proper car battery for him.)

Me: “Can I ask for the year, make, and model of your vehicle?”

Customer: “Why?”

Me: “It is our usual policy to find the exact battery.”

(He gets into more of a huff. We find the right battery and I ask for his info to do up the proper paperwork.)

Customer: “What the h*** do you need all this for, anyway?”

Me: “Well, we just need to make sure we take care of our customers properly. When it comes to vehicle maintenance, we take it seriously, so we don’t end up messing things up and making you have to deal with more trouble.”

(He gets huffy again, but I take down the required info.)

Customer: “Well, that’s over. Oh, wait… d*** it!”

Me: “What’s wrong, sir?”

Customer: “I don’t have any tools to take out the old battery and stuff!”

Me: “Well, hang on for another moment, and I can go get them. Then I will take your old battery out, and replace it with the new one. That way you can get out of here, and back home to do what you planned on doing.”

(He narrows his eyes at me, but nods and waits for me at the desk. I go get the tools, and come back so he can lead me out to his vehicle. I do just as I said I would. I even wish him a good evening after all is said and done. The next day he comes back in. I see him making his way back to my department while I’m still working. He’s smiling somewhat sheepishly.)

Me: “Hello again, sir! Is everything okay?”

Customer: “Yeah, everything’s great! Heck, the truck runs a bit better now, too. It’s been years since I had to change the battery. I just wanted to apologize for how angry I was last night, and for how I treated you.”

Me: “Well, it’s no big deal, sir. I can imagine you’d had enough hassle from the situation.”

Customer: “Yeah, you got that right. Look, I think you’re an outstanding young man, and I want to thank you for helping me out in a pinch.”

(He shakes my hand, but I notice the feeling of paper also being handed to me in the handshake. I look down in my hand and see a $20 bill.)

Customer: “That’s for dealing with my grumpy old a**. Thanks again!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!