Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Cashier Sees Red, Fears Customer Is Seeing Red

, , , , | Working | June 15, 2018

(I have a medical condition that can only be controlled by a certain general steroid. As a result, my face turns red at random and I lightly sweat, because the steroid causes heat flashes. I’ve gone shopping at my regular grocery store, where most of the cashiers know me. However, they have a new person at the quick checkout who looks to be still in high school.)

Me: “Hi, I was looking for more of that cheese on sale, but it looks like you’re out. Can I get a raincheck for it?”

Cashier: “Oh, uh. Let me send someone back there to confirm, then I can.” *She calls for a stocker to check for me, then resumes scanning my items.* “I’m so sorry.”

Me: “That’s okay; I don’t mind waiting.”

(My face is getting red, and she keeps giving me weird looks as she reaches for her phone to page a manager.)

Me: “Uh-oh, did something ring up wrong?”

Cashier: “No. Just one moment, and my manager will be with you.”

Me: *confused* “Okay… Can I ask why I need to talk to a manager? Do you have to do that before you do a raincheck now?” *my voice has kept calm and pleasant this whole time*

Manager: “What’s going on, [Cashier]? Hey, [My Name], you giving this young lady problems?”

Me: *laughing* “Yup, I’m threatening to shake my fist at her if y’all don’t get me my cheese. Since when do you need a manager to fill out a raincheck?”

Manager: *confused* “You don’t.”

Cashier: “She was getting angry! I was scared she was going to scream at me or throw something at me.”

Me: *laughing* “Let me guess: my face went red, didn’t it? I promise, I’m not going to hurt you or be rude. I take medicine that makes me have a heat flash, that’s all.”

Manager: “[My Name] is one of the friendlier customers. If she’s angry at you, it’s because you were rude to her or did something incredibly stupid.”

(About this time, the stocker came back up with two of the cheeses I’d overlooked. The manager told me I was in trouble for causing such a situation. As compensation, I bought the cashier a candy bar, which she appreciated. She apologized for the mix-up, but I told her that I can understand, since most people think the instant response to not getting what they want is to scream like a kid. I hope retail doesn’t beat her down.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!