Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Cash Back Attack, Part 17

, , , , , | Right | June 8, 2022

Our store lets customers get up to $40 cashback on a check with a customer card.

We have a particular customer who is very loud and usually wrong. One evening, he comes through the line and gets $40 back. I hand him his cashback and his receipt and he leaves. I think it was an unusually smooth transaction for him, but of course, I was wrong.

About half an hour later, he’s back.

Customer: “You didn’t give me my cash or my receipt.”

Me: “I’m pretty sure I did, sir.”

Customer: “Well, I don’t have it. I always wrap the receipt around the cash and put it straight into my wallet, so I go home and enter it in my checkbook. Straight into my wallet.”

Me: “Well, all I can do is call a manager and have her count my drawer.”

Customer: “Call her, then. I need my cash and I’m in a hurry.”

I call the manager, but she is tied up with another customer and will be a few minutes before she gets there. The customer stands there grumbling, in a loud voice, about incompetence and how no one can do their job right.

Finally, the manager gets there and I fill her in.

Customer: “I got cashback and she didn’t give me my money. I can prove it, too.”

He then shoves his hand in his pocket and pulls out the receipt. The receipt he just told me he ALWAYS put back in his wallet and that I hadn’t given him in the first place. He then unfolds the receipt, and what is all wrapped up in it?

Two $20 bills.

He stands there for a moment with his jaw open.

Manager: “I guess I don’t have to count the drawer after all. Good thing, since you’re in such a hurry.”

The customer just shoves the receipt and cash into his pocket and practically runs out of the store. The manager apologizes to the customers who have been waiting to check out this whole time.

Other Customer: “Well, he did wrap the cash in the receipt. He wasn’t wrong about that.”

I got everyone through the line as quickly as I could, apologizing to them. The loud customer came back into the store on other occasions, and of course, he never apologized. But why should he? He was never wrong!

Related:
Cash Back Attack, Part 16
Cash Back Attack, Part 15
Cash Back Attack, Part 14
Cash Back Attack, Part 13
Cash Back Attack, Part 12

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!