Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Cash Back Attack, Part 14

, , , , , | Right | December 30, 2020

I’m on register at a pet store when an elderly woman in her Sunday best (on a Tuesday evening) with very strong, dramatic makeup and A LOT of perfume comes up. She hands me the invoice for her dog’s grooming and a small envelope.

Customer: “Put $5 in there for the groomer.”

Me: “Okay. Do you have the cash now or will it be cash back at the end?”

Customer: *Staring at me* “No… Just put $5 in there.”

I think she wants me to add it to the total — a common request.

Me: “Unfortunately, I don’t have the option to add a tip to the bill. It has to be done in cash.”

Customer: “I don’t carry cash!”

Me: “That’s okay. If you use your debit card, you can select ‘cashback’ and use that.”

Customer: “I don’t want to use cashback; my bank charges me! Just put $5!”

I am wondering where she thinks $5 is going to come from.

Me: “I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

Customer: *Huffs* “It’s not difficult. You’re just ignorant.”

She jams her card into the card reader.

Customer: “Just do it!”

Me: “I don’t think I can do what you’re asking. Would you like a manager?”

Customer: “Yes! Finally!”

I call the manager.

Manager: “Hi, how can I help?”

Customer: “This girl is being purposely unhelpful!”

Me: “She wants me to put $5 in this envelope for the groomer but she doesn’t have it, nor does she want to do cashback.”

Customer: “My bank charges me! Why can’t you just take it from the drawer?”

Manager: “Because then the drawer will be short.”

Customer: “No! I told her to take it from the drawer! Put it on the bill!”

Manager: “We don’t have the option to add tips to the bill. It has to be done in cash. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.”

Customer: “Forget it. You just don’t understand. When the groomer girl asks why she didn’t get a tip, I hope you have the grace to look ashamed of yourselves.”

Manager: “Ma’am, we’ve given you the options. You can do cashback or just tip her another day, but we cannot just take money from the register.”

Customer: “Disgraceful!”

She snatches her receipt from my hand and stomps off.

Manager: *In a sarcastic tone* “You millennials and your lack of understanding.”

Related:
Cash Back Attack, Part 13
Cash Back Attack, Part 12
Cash Back Attack, Part 11
Cash Back Attack, Part 10
Cash Back Attack, Part 9

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!