Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Caring About The Carers

| Right | March 12, 2013

(A regular customer with a mental disability is currently in the restaurant with his carer. The man comes in every week and is one of the nicest customers we have.)

Carer: “Hey! Can I have a word please? Do you guys mind that we come in here to eat?”

Me: “Of course we don’t mind! You’re more than welcome here; don’t be silly! Why do you ask such a thing?”

Carer: “Oh, thanks! It’s just that that couple over there said that they’d spoken to you, and that you were thinking of the best thing to say to kick us out!”

Me: “They really said that?! Right, stay here for a moment, please. I’ll be right back.”

(Although I’m furious, I sweetly approach the couple in question.)

Me: “Hey guys, I understand you’re having a bit of a problem today. Anything I can do to help?”

Customer:Finally! Yes, you certainly can help! I want those people over there gone! It’s plain rude that they’d dare be here!”

Me: “May I enquire as to why you wish for them to be removed from the store?”

Customer: “People like that shouldn’t be allowed in normal restaurants! I shouldn’t have to put up with it!”

Me: “Oh, you’re absolutely right, sir! You shouldn’t have to put up with it at all!”

Customer: “I knew you’d understand!”

Me: “Yes, completely! That’s why I’m giving you a total of 30 seconds to remove yourself from my store before I ban you completely! And if you dare to say such a disgustingly prejudiced thing about one of my most valued customers again, you’ll have more than just some harsh words to deal with!”

Customer: “You can’t talk to me like that! How dare you?!”

Me: “Well, it looks like I just did. Don’t ever bother my customers again. Get out.”

Customer: “Why should I get out? I have every right to be here!”

Me: “As does everyone, regardless of how different they may be. You, however, no longer have a right to be here. If I have to ask you to leave again, I will have the police come to remove you.”

(The couple left, cursing my name and threatening to call to have me fired. When they did ring, I’d already received a pay rise for what I did following a call from my regulars!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!